• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Battlemaster and Superiority Dice are causing martials to suffer.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Which equals half of your fights, or as I said, multiple times a day. Note if you get the fighting style too it is twice between short rests.
Spending more design resources and still less frequently usable than the cantrips like the very fun Mage Hand or the first level spell .... claiming ff is boring while ignoring the other possibilities familiars provide like having it do some scouting and similar things yeh sure... like so many maneuvers have anything approaching that versatility or frequency of use.

If the owl was somehow killed every fight then you might still have it once every short rest that DM is being an **** if that is the case.

Sorry you are in my opinion blowing smoke.

ECMO3

Hero
Spending more design resources and still less frequently usable than the cantrips like the very fun Mage Hand or the first level spell .... claiming ff is boring while ignoring the other possibilities familiars provide like having it do some scouting and similar things yeh sure... like so many maneuvers have anything approaching that versatility or frequency of use.

I love Mage Hand too. I don't think they are comparable though and Mage Hand is difficult for anyone except an Arcane Trickster to use in combat due to the action cost.

If the owl was somehow killed every fight then you might still have it once every short rest that DM is being an **** if that is the case.

As a DM I typically concentrate fire on the enemy with the fewest hit points. PCs in most games usually do the same thing. If you assume the battle is a 0-sum game and you are going to have to kill everyone then action economy is paramount. You want to outlast the enemy so you reduce the number of actions he can take against you in the most efficient way possible.

Usually the familiars have the fewest hit points. The Owl familiar has an advantage in that he is not usually in melee, but that is not enough to survive many fights if he is doing anything more than hiding.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The Raven mimicry ability I use all the time in social encounters.
Which maneuver is going to do anything approaching "useable all the time in social encounters"?

The owl is not only grant me advantage it can be grant an ally advantage more versatile by far than the closest fighter maneuver,

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I love Mage Hand too. I don't think they are comparable though and Mage Hand is difficult for anyone except an Arcane Trickster to use in combat due to the action cost.
Yes but you mention design combos all the time. And the magehand will be useful outside of combat too. And then you have that other cantrip you could make a combat one.

One of the complaints about the fighter abilities they arent versatile (I mention lets make them more versatile and you act like I suggested rebuilding 4e LOL)

As a DM I typically concentrate fire on the enemy with the fewest hit points.
Usually the familiars have the fewest hit points.
and are the least threatening which is not great its like giving the caster more hit points and better ability to maintain those nasty concentration spells,

Even a familiar you as a DM act like an **** about is helping the caster by eating an attack

Last edited:

ECMO3

Hero
and are the least threatening which is not great its like giving the caster more hit points and better ability to maintain those nasty concentration spells,

If they are granting advantage every turn they are not "least threatening". That would go to the cleric or a support character that is out there healing someone.

If they are hiding in a corner somewhere then sure I won't attack them, but then they are not giving advantage every turn.

Even a familiar you as a DM act like an **** about is helping the caster by eating an attack
Usually the familiar belongs to a caster.

ECMO3

Hero
Sorry you are in my opinion blowing smoke.

Here is a link to my Sorcerer-Fighter-Rogue character with superior technique and martial adept (note DDB has some errors with superior technique so it does not show menacing attack, but it does show the fighting style, feat and other two maneuvers):

Here is a link to one of my characters with a Raven Familiar:

Here is a link to one of my characters with a Bat familiar:

Unfortunately the Rogue-Cleric I mentioned is not online and I can't link him, believe me or don't believe me as you wish.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
If they are granting advantage every turn they are not "least threatening". That would go to the cleric or a support character that is out there healing someone.
Advantage is significantly less than 1 attack every turn... but more than 1 attack every other combat,
Usually the familiar belongs to a caster.
Does not matter who it belongs too in fact we were discussing how much better the feat that dabbles in caster is than the one who borrows a maneuver,

oes not show menacing attack, but it does show the fighting style, feat and other two maneuvers):
I wasnt saying you didnt make the characters sigh
If they are granting advantage every turn they are not "least threatening".
unlesss they are launching a pc caliber attack or yes healing spells which are even more useful when used
and which simultaneously undo the effect of an enemy attack (often entirely) AND also keep the other PC doing their offence .... that familiar is still far the least threatening,

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads