D&D 5E Battlemaster Monk idea

CTurbo

Explorer
I think a Monk with full access to the combat maneuvers would make for a really fun character. The idea was simple. At level 3, you gain the Way of the Battle Master tradition. At first, I was thinking about just completely copying and pasting the Fighter's Combat Superiority right out of the phb, but I really like the idea of the Monk's combat maneuvers working off of Ki points instead. I think in order to do this though, we'd probably have to scrap the superiority dice for the maneuvers that simply add the dice's roll to damage.

What do you guys think? Too OP? Not good enough? Simply unnecessary?

I think some of the maneuvers would not need to be used. Commander's strike, for example, is not very Monk like at all. It may be hard trying to explain an unarmed Lunging attack haha

ClockworkNinja

Explorer
I am (slowly) working on a Monk redesign of my own, including a subclass not unlike this. Check out the Unearthed Arcana playtests for ideas about subclasses with a limited array of combat maneuvers.

I'd probably plump for mostly unnecessary. The open hand Monk gets abilities that move/trip or otherwise mess with opponents. Stunning Fist is probably more powerful than most BM maneuvers already. There is a feat, or the option of multiclassing if you really want to get everything that the battlemaster gets.

Remove ads