D&D (2024) Monks should have Superiority Die and Maneuvers

So they spent a lot of design space on Maneuvers for a single subclass (a popular one though), and sure there are ways to get maneuvers if one isn't a Battlemaster but it generally restricts its use to only that subclass. So I thought maybe they should think about tacking that on to Monks themselves, which would ensure there's more of a focus on maneuvers. Obviously some maneuvers might have to change and to be more suitable for Monks, and there might need to be things were some maneuvers should be exclusive to Monks or Battlemasters.

Now for Monks using a Maneuver would involve spending a Ki point (or whatever term they're going to use) and using the Martial Arts Die as the Superiority Die, but I think it might give the Monk a bunch of good options.

HammerMan

Legend
In some ways the open hand monk is a better battle master. Every time they flurry they can trip
The new unarmed strike includes shove grab and trip in it

So yeah it would be cool

Horwath

Legend
Everyone should know a number of maneuvers equal to your proficiency bonus.
Everyone should have a number of "stamina" points equal to 2×prof bonus.

Various maneuvers could cost 1 to 4 pts.

To recharge stamina points you can take a Recharge action at beginning of your turn before anything else.
You are considered Blinded and Paralyzed until the end of your next turn. Then you recharge your stamina.

Very fast recharge time, but very risky to do in combat. And it costs you two turns in combat.

Battlemaster could have 2×prof bonus maneuvers known and 3×prof bonus stamina points.

Or just copy A5E :p

Quickleaf

Legend
Always thought the martial arts system from AD&D Oriental Adventures was good monk inspiration. I know a few bits and pieces of it are evident in 5e's monk.

Remove ads