• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Battletech - Blood of Kerensky

Darimaus

First Post
Its time for one of the most important moment in a Clan Cadets lifetime. A trial of position. It is here that he can become a warrior and ascend to the greatest caste in the Clans. It is here that his life is decided.

I have Jemal and Caros's stats already, and I will take the liberty of rolling the initiative myself. The roll is 2d6 - piloting. To begin with, I'm going to add the map/program to open the map.

Hex locations will be number from left to right, followed by top to bottom. I.E., Jemals starting location will be 42,10 with an initiative of 1a, and Caros' starting location will be 37,7 with an initiative of 6.

Enemy Starting Locations:
Caros:
1st (Shadowcat) = 11,29 Initiative = 7
2nd (Vulture) = 8,30
3rd (Thor) = 6,32

Jemal:
1st (Stooping Hawk) = 14,34. Initiative = 1b
2nd (Thor) = 12,36
3rd (Turkina) = 9,38

The first phase of combat is movement phase. The movement modes are walking, running, and jumping. Movement has an effect on the difficulty of opponents to hit you. 0-2 hexes moved increases hit difficulty by 0, 3-4 increases it by 1, 5-6 is 2, 7-9 is 3, and 10 + is 4.

Walking: Base movement rate. Increases your difficulty to hit your targets by 1. Increases heat by 1.

Runnig: 1.5x walking speed. Increases difficulty to hit your targets by 2. Cannot back up at running speed. Increases heat by 2.

Jumping: Speed = to number of jumpjets on mech. Bypasses all terrain movement rules. You may choose facing when you land. Increases the difficulty to hit opponents by 3. Increases opponents difficulty to hit you by 1. Increases heat by 3.

*House Rule* Running Jump: Allows you to use running speed while jumping, though you can only ignore a number of hexes of terrain = to your jump speed (must be consecutive). Increases difficulty to hit your targets by 4. Increases difficulty to hit you by 1. Heat Increased by 4.

Facing: Facing matters for use of your weapons, which fire at an arc of the front three hexes of your mech, with the exception of the arms, which can fire all weapons on the arm at the back hex on its side (not directly behind). In order to change your facing, it cost 1 movement point to change to facing the hex to the left or right (movement points being the speed of whatever mode of movement you choose to use). Facing also matters because it determines the hit tables you use, and decide wether or not you hit back or front armor.

Terrain: Terrain effects movement through squares, increasing the number of movement points it requires to go through them. Terrain also increase hit difficulty. The terrain used in the starting map involves light and heavy woods which increase MP to 2 for light, and 3 for heavy.

So now, Jemal and Caros can post their movements and we can get started. People with the lowest initiative go first in this phase. For this round, Jemals 1st opponent decides not to move (In the trial, your opponents will let you move first when you fight them until a Grand Melee is opened up). Now Jemal and Caros can go.

Attachments

• Trial of Position.rar
    3.5 KB · Views: 94
  • bme.zip
    459.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
Jemal of the Wolf clan smiles as he advances upon his soon-to-be-trash opponent.
(Run 8 to 34, 14)

Last edited:

Caros

First Post
Begining.

"And all systems are green." He muttered to himself, the rather ungainly step of his cauldron born shifting, moving him into into a slow forward shuffle, picking up speed as he went. Targeting systems were flickering into action, active scans and plain old visual showing his target just over a kilometer away. Not at all shy of combat, he set himself into an all out run, target brackets flickering gold over his target, indicating it was, as of yet, just outside the range of his longest weapons.

[sblock]Move 8, straight towards it at a full out run. If I get into weapons range I'll unload with both of my ER Large Lasers.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Darimaus

First Post
Alrighty, so Caros runs to 11,29

Jemal runs to 34,14. He is now 28 Hexes away from his opponent.

Caros's first opponent runs to 23,23. He is now 15 Hexes away from Caros.

Now we come to the torso twist phase. You can change your firing arc up to 1 hex to the left or right, but it does not affect your movement, or your facing in terms of to hit charts and back/foreward armor.

In this case, I'm assuming all involved will just pick the most direct facing to their opponents.

Next phase is weapon declaration phase, where people decide what guns they are firing and at whom they are doing so. This phase also goes lowest initiative goes first. To save time, I will always roll attack rolls and to hit rolls, that way we can merge this phase with the firing phase that happens afterwards.

Jemal can't hit his opponent, so we'll skip him, and Caros has already posted. Now for the fun part. The results.

Caros opens up with his large Lasers at the Shadowcat. Unfortunatly, he fails to hit with either of them.

The Shadowcat will return fire with its Gauss Rifle, but is also unsuccessful at hitting its target.

Hit Difficulty:
Caros: He Ran +2, His oppoenet moved 12 hexes +4, Firing at Medium Range +2, Gunnery +2 = Difficulty 10

Shadowcat: He Ran +2, His opponent moved 8 Hexes +3, Firing at Medium Range +2, Gunnery +3 = Difficulty 10

The next phase is the physical attack phase. This won't come up for awhile, so I won't cover it.

The phase after that is the cooling phase. You gain a certain number of heat, subtract the amount of heat from the cooling capaicty of your heat sinks, and then follow the chart for effects. In this case, nobody gained any heat this round.

This marks the end of the first round of combat. The only thing I will add here is a house rule involving initiative. If you take no actions during your entire turn, you can refocus, setting your initiative to a roll of 12 and making you roll off with everyone who rolled a 12 or refocused initiative to determine the new order.

We now go back to the movement phase.

Jemal's opponent, a Stooping Hawk, will not move at all. It is now Caros and Jemal's turn again.

Last edited:

Caros

First Post
"Freebirth." He muttered to himself, targeting hairs flickering red as he snapped off a pair of shot with his large lasers, the emerald beams cutting a swath high and low to the sides of his target, coming close, but utterly failing to even graze his opponent.

The return gauss slug set him ducking, twisting his mech as it impacted the rough ground beneath him. He took only a moment breather, relaxing himself and riding out the spike of heat that filled his mech before moving forward at a more tenitive pace now, training his weapons on the opposing mech.

[Sblock=combat]Move forward 4.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
Jemal frowned as his opponent continued to stand rock-solid. "I'm twice his size and he's just waiting for me.." with a shrug, he continued advancing steadily, getting into a more appropriate line with his opponent, until the Red Fist can fire all it has at long range(2 ER Large, 1 ER PPC).
[sblock=ooc]
I advance 6 hexes, turn, and advance another. I'm now in hex 28,18 facing south, though a torso twist should bring me into line to fire on it. My calculations show our distance currently at 23, long range for all my weapons.
I think the stooping hawk probably refocused, if he has and moves now, I'll still try to shoot him if I can.
Also, does my active probe tell me what weaponry that thing has? Or can I tell normally?[/sblock]

Last edited:

Darimaus

First Post
Ok, Jemal runs to 18,28. He is now 23 Hexes away from his opponent.

Caros walks to 13,25.

The Shadowcat Runs foreward 11 hexes and turns 1 hex to the left. His is now 9 Hexes away from Caros.

I'm assuming everyone torso twists to face their targets.

Time for Declaration phase.

Btw, Jemal, Active Probe has a range of 12.

Caros

First Post
He frowned briefly as the opposing mechwarrior cut a line across the ground, turning rather than stride directly towards him, the smaller mech made its way up a hillside, moving at a speed that could only mean it was running a MASC system.

Definately a fast little surat, and an annoying one to boot, his weapons training on the speedy shadowcat, leading it as it put on a burst of speed, his inertial targeting system giving its best guess of where his target would be, a slight smile crooking his lips as he let fly with all of his lasers.

[Sblock=combat]3 ER Medium, 2 ER large. I gain a total of 5 heat including my walking. These better hit =.=;[/sblock]

Jemal

Adventurer
Jemal stabs at the firing buttons, two scarlet lances of energy and a giant lightning bolt flying from his mechs torso towards the Sitting Duck... Er, that is the Stooping Hawk.

[sblock=ooc]
RE: Active probe - Ah, noted.
RE: Stooping Hawk - Huh, guess I was wrong about the refocus. My bad for assuming.
RE: Combat - Fire with 2 ER Large and ER PPC. All long range(+4), I ran (+2), he didn't move (0), Gunnery 2, Targeting Computer-1. Total (by my math) = 7 to hit.
[/sblock]

Remove ads