D&D General Beadle & Grimm's Matthew Lillard Launches D&D-themed Bourbon

The new super-premium bourbon whiskey line starts with the Paladin, will expand to 16 total RPG-inspired liquors.

Matthew Lillard announced his newest RPG-related project with the launch of Quest’s End, a custom line of bourbon whiskey.

Quests-End-Paladin-Bourbon-1536x1255.jpg

The first in the line of limited edition, "super-premium" whiskeys will be the Paladin from the boutique company Blue Run Spirits. The custom bottle includes a dragon head embossed on the neck, a crest on the front, a hit point tracker along the side, and a dungeon map on the back visible through the bottle. The whiskey itself is a blend of straight bourbon bottled at 100 proof from Blue Run Spirits and distilled in Kentucky and Indiana.

Beadle & Grimm co-founder Lillard is joined by screenwriter Justin Ware and Blue Run co-founder Tim Sparapani to create the line, joined by Kate Welch (Acquisitions Inc. performer and former Wizards of the Coast developer) to refine the flavor profiles and sci-fi artist Tyler Jacobson (Dungeons & Dragons, Pathfinder, Magic: The Gathering) providing illustrations and maps. Plans are to eventually expand the line to 16 character-inspired liquors, but aside from Paladin, we currently only know the next three: Rogue, Warlock, and Dragon.

In an interview with Hollywood Reporter, Scooby-Doo and Hackers star Lillard described the reason for starting with the Paladin:

We wanted to build something that allowed us the ability to control our own destiny. The idea of a Paladin is somebody that has a vision; a really strong belief. We thought it was a great way to start our story: with somebody that has a conviction that she fully believes in. And we feel the same way about this company, the idea of building stuff for fandoms.

Quest’s End Paladin will be available on October 6 and there will be a 48-hour pre-sale for those who sign up on the website. It is not clear if the bourbon will come with the free dice bag in the style made famous by the Canadian whisky brand Crown Royal.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I'm not a whisky drinker in the slightest but props to them for a cool idea.

Vodka in a skull, on the other hand - well, I'm partway through one of those right now, and will get back to it while running Sunday night's session. :)

Abstruse

Legend
I'm not a whisky drinker in the slightest but props to them for a cool idea.

Vodka in a skull, on the other hand - well, I'm partway through one of those right now, and will get back to it while running Sunday night's session. :)
I tried to reflect the original article and interview's dancing around. Blue Run only makes bourbon. Paladin will be a bourbon. But they specifically said "liquor" and "spirits" in referencing the other planned booze. So they may end up with rum, vodka, gin, brandy, tequila, schnapps, moonshine, etc. for Rogue, Warlock, Dragon, and whatever else the others are called.

Barantor

Explorer
Kentuckian here, live not too awful far from where this will be made. Lots of boutique/niche bottles out there and unless you are collector you are better off with off-the-shelf bourbon. I always suggest Woodford Reserve for folks that are new to bourbon.

Glad my state is getting the business and the bourbon is made here, but it's gonna be pricey.

Retreater

Legend
Kentuckian here, live not too awful far from where this will be made. Lots of boutique/niche bottles out there and unless you are collector you are better off with off-the-shelf bourbon. I always suggest Woodford Reserve for folks that are new to bourbon.

Glad my state is getting the business and the bourbon is made here, but it's gonna be pricey.
Four Roses is another good one (especially for people just trying bourbon). Wild Turkey 101 (surprise!) is great for the cost - probably the best value in bourbons.
If you want to stimulate my local economy, you can pick up Green River - but it's mediocre (and probably twice the price it's worth).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I tried to reflect the original article and interview's dancing around. Blue Run only makes bourbon. Paladin will be a bourbon. But they specifically said "liquor" and "spirits" in referencing the other planned booze. So they may end up with rum, vodka, gin, brandy, tequila, schnapps, moonshine, etc. for Rogue, Warlock, Dragon, and whatever else the others are called.
I generally hate all the celebrity liquors, but a tequila with an equally fun bottle might win me over.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads