Beating the old bag

Bullgrit

Adventurer
We haven't talked about our fitness lately (a couple years?), so let's start a new thread on it.

I've started working on a hanging heavy bag at the gym, and I'm finding it very enjoyable. I bought a pair of MMA gloves, and I punch around the bag for 20 minutes a few times a week. I really like this. It's a great cardio workout. On this heavy bag, I'm burning 250-300 calories in that 20 minutes. I work it for 1-3 minutes, then take 10-30 seconds break, then go back at it. Several years ago, when I was in martial arts, I worked on a BOB a bit, but that wasn't for extended time -- just a few combos here and there. Not for many minutes in a row.

What are you doing for fitness? Anything new and fun?

Bullgrit

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I do a 6K run every day Mon-Fri (I take weekends off). I complement that with resistance training three times a week. I never used to need to do that much, but stuff starts catching up with you eventually!

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
I started cycle training again last weekend. I want to do a one week trip in September, in a region a bit more hilly than my home turf (which is plain and simple flat). So I staked out a route of some 50 miles going to and through the only hilly area close by which gives a total rise of some 1,400 ft. for the trip.

Here's hoping that by doing this trip twice per week I'll be able to reach my as of yet undisclosed destination in September. :cool:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
New and fun? No.

For a while, I was jogging pretty regularly. C25K was working well for me, I got out at least three times a week, and all that.

Then, stressful times hit, and I fell off the wagon. And I'm staring back at having to get back on.

My wife and I just took on a subscription for on demand fitness videos (from Gaiam - so a lot of yoga-related fitness content) that I'm looking forward to mucking with, because yoga does wonders for my flexibility.

Sgurr

Villager
I've ran a minimum of 2,5K every day for 338 days in a row now. I really do love running B-) I've also been a bit more mindful about what I eat, and when. I call it the 7-7 Diet: physical activity seven days a week, and eat properly seven days a week..

Remove ads