D&D 5E BECMI 5E Modules All of It?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
With Goodman Games redoing B1 and B2 I was thinking of going through and doing a brief read through of the BECMI adventure line (B1,B2, X1,X2 etc) and share my thoughts on the modules and how easy they would be to convert to 5E. They would not be read cover to cover more, pick them up/read PDF, see if they appeal (have a hook), and have a look at the maps, layout, descriptions etc, and get a rough feel as to how easy they would be to convert to 5E. The modules will get a free pass on things like 80's art and being B/W and well erm basic perhaps. Basically it will be does this module look good/fun to play and how easy would it to be to convert to 5E?

I played a few back in the day and a few more over the last 5 years. They were all B/X though as I have not played anything from the CMI part of the line.

For the newer players what is BECMI? it stands for Basic, Expert, Companion, Master and Immortal and it was the other D&D that existed around the same time as 1E and 2E. There have been 7 main editions of D&D and several sub versions (Holmes, Moldvay, 3.5 etc). BECM took you from level 1-36, the "I" part was more or less playing as demigods (I don't think anyone actually used this RAW if at all). It was one of the biggest D&Ds of all time but died out as 1E more or less gobbled up the players in the late 80's (Dragonlance and FR may have had something to do with it not 100% sure).

So good idea/bad idea?

Yes, good idea. I'd be interested in your impressions of the adventures.

Yeah - I swapped the 2 dragon what the hell ending for one dragon (the one from Thundertree). EPIC battle. And at least somewhat connected to what went before, rather than, oh, by the way...

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
Yeah - that's the one I was talking about. It did cause a big stir among my players but actually, they handled it relatively easily which was surprising.

Remove ads