D&D 5E Being strong and skilled is a magic of its own or, how I learned to stop worrying and love anime fightin' magic

Haplo781

Legend
Although it’s fine debating what book gandalf was said to achieve most people here i think tend to be referring to the movie version when they discuss what he was shown to be capable of so saying X Y and Z happened in the books doesn’t especially help much.

I wonder, if you went through the LotR movies, what each and every instance of gandalf using magic would be in terms of the closest DnD spell,
Intimidating bilbo at the start of fellowship? Well that’s thaumaturgy, with maybe a minor illusion on top
Sending the moth to call the eagles to rescue him from saruman’s tower? Easily Animal messenger
Defending/destroying the bridge in moria? Thunderwave perhaps? Shatter?
Calling shadowfax? Summon steed
Gandalf is like a fifth-level bard, mechanically speaking.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Reading some Neil Gaiman this morning:

"[It] had been like watching Emma Peel, Bruce Lee, and a particularly vicious tornado, all rolled into one and sprinkled with a generous helping of a mongoose killing a king cobra. That was how [they] had moved. That was how [they] had fought."

Last edited:

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
I would like to point out how narrow and specific these "feats of strength" are compared to giving someone a girdle of giant strength they are both good for the flavor and bad because they are not iMHO backed up broadly enough Level Up to the rescue?
For a comic campaign, you could have a Festivus background that gives feats of strength, airing of grievances, and skill with a metal pole.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Reading some history today:

"It was like taking away the strength of his division. [...] The power which had inspired them was gone. He [had been] cool, had great presence of mind and possessed the rare qualification of making his soldiers feel his presence. He could bring order out of confusion and by a word, a look, or an act inspire his men. [...] His coolness, endurance, bravery, stubbornness, his quick perception of all that was taking place, his power over his men, to make each man a hero, did much towards saving the army on that disastrous day."

- correspondent Charles Carleton Coffin writing on General W.H.L. Wallace. Hero of the Hornets' Nest, Shiloh.

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
'Power over his men', huh?

Sounds like a spell to me. Normal humans can't make other people feel things!

If only he had the power to shout mens' arms back on or wounds closed. Then the Illinois 11th might not have lost so many at Fort Donelson and he might have done more than just hold on for a day laying on the ground in the rain and then two more before finally dying after Shiloh.

Stupid limits on martial classes.

Last edited:

Remove ads