Besides D&D, what are you playing?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I was toying with a supers hack of Blades myself for a while. I found it a bit tricky to get it to do what I wanted, butI think there’s potential there, for sure.

If you start a thread, I’d have some ideas to share.
I'd want to keep the super-ness down to a dull roar, which is fine because it's easier to accommodate in Blades than shizz like Thor or the Hulk. That's one of the reasons I like Batman more than the Avengers as the high-tier problem. Some combination of the Whispers from Blades, and the Xenos and Way powers from SaV should provide a starting point anyway. Once I have some starting stuff written up I'll drop a thread.

Same basic idea, playing a gang of thugs and criminals, and maybe low level supers, running jobs and trying balance interactions with the many criminal elements while not attracting the attention of Batman or the GCPD. BitD seems like the right tool for that job. I think I'll aim a little darker than the Marvel version that spawned the idea. Something to keep me busy anyway.

Batman: Tier V (strong), I suppose? That's one faction to stay clear of!

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Batman: Tier V (strong), I suppose? That's one faction to stay clear of!
Yeah, Batman at Tier V was the plan, he needs to be a serious badass. I think the superhero part should feel pretty light until the gang builds up some serious heat though, with some levels before Batman - probably the usual suspects: Nightwing, Robin, Azreal, Batgirl and Red Hood. More central to gameplay will probably be the GCPD and the various organized crime syndicates, along with the standard villians. I think the feel I'm looking for at least indexes the Gotham show, where the superness, and Batman, are more backdrop than key player. I want to highlight the corruption of Gotham and really lean into it as a setting where everything is for sale and heroes are in short supply.

Nebulous

Legend
Well, as I had mentioned earlier in the thread I am dipping my toes in Dungeon World. I really like it so far, but my old group can only play once a month for about 2 hours, which honestly is not enough momentum to keep up a story line. We will continue doing that, but I'm drumming up a new group of online Roll20 players to dive into the same campaign I have prepped for hopefully some weekly play. I bet I can get 10 or 12 sessions out of the module.

PabloM

Adventurer
Well, as I had mentioned earlier in the thread I am dipping my toes in Dungeon World. I really like it so far, but my old group can only play once a month for about 2 hours, which honestly is not enough momentum to keep up a story line. We will continue doing that, but I'm drumming up a new group of online Roll20 players to dive into the same campaign I have prepped for hopefully some weekly play. I bet I can get 10 or 12 sessions out of the module.
Yes, playing online requires adapting to different situations than playing at the table.
I can't particularly enjoy it, I don't know why.

Nebulous

Legend
Yes, playing online requires adapting to different situations than playing at the table.
I can't particularly enjoy it, I don't know why.

It's not as good as in person, but there's some qualities about it I've come to enjoy. I do like the dynamic lighting, I cannot do that at the table, so I've been using that to effectively scare players more.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I'd want to keep the super-ness down to a dull roar, which is fine because it's easier to accommodate in Blades than shizz like Thor or the Hulk. That's one of the reasons I like Batman more than the Avengers as the high-tier problem. Some combination of the Whispers from Blades, and the Xenos and Way powers from SaV should provide a starting point anyway. Once I have some starting stuff written up I'll drop a thread.
Was it the Vigilante hack? Or something else? Also, there's a more straight supers hack on Kickstarter right now, Galaxies in Peril...

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Was it the Vigilante hack? Or something else? Also, there's a more straight supers hack on Kickstarter right now, Galaxies in Peril...
He posted some of his PDFs in this thread.

I don't love Blades for a full on supers game. I don't think the mechanics would work for really high powered characters, at least not as the same time as more normal characters. Maybe with some tinkering, or the right levels of abstraction, IDK. I don't want to nay say. I'll give the kickstarter a look for sure.

hawkeyefan

Legend

I backed this KS to see how they handle it. I've been itching for a supers game after not having played a superhero RPG in years. Obviously, that KS is still pretty far off.

I was thinking of trying the Marvel Villains hack we've been discussing. The only other supers games that I've looked at recently that I would consider are Masks and Godlike. One is focused more on teen heroes and has the coming of age type of vibe that I'm just not that crazy about, and the other is very crunchy and strongly tied to WWII.

The other one I've seen online and would consider is The Spectaculars, but I can't seem to find out if I can get a copy. The KS has passed.....and its availability seemed uncertain to me last time I looked into it.

He posted some of his PDFs in this thread.

I don't love Blades for a full on supers game. I don't think the mechanics would work for really high powered characters, at least not as the same time as more normal characters. Maybe with some tinkering, or the right levels of abstraction, IDK. I don't want to nay say. I'll give the kickstarter a look for sure.

I think if you tone down the difference between characters like Hawkeye and Thor, the best way to do that is with a more narrative game. I think the potential is there with the FitD system with things like Scale and how that may be tweaked to get the desired effect. I think the crunchier a game is, the harder it is to handle these different power levels.

But, the comics have had them coexisting for years, so when you think of that, it can obviously be done. Exactly how is the question.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I think if you tone down the difference between characters like Hawkeye and Thor, the best way to do that is with a more narrative game. I think the potential is there with the FitD system with things like Scale and how that may be tweaked to get the desired effect. I think the crunchier a game is, the harder it is to handle these different power levels.

But, the comics have had them coexisting for years, so when you think of that, it can obviously be done. Exactly how is the question.
The nice thing about the Batman mythos is that I don't need to worry to much about that balance, at least initially. Batman's foes generally aren't in the Superman/Thor/Captain Marvel tier anyway. Low-super is pretty easy to do with FitD I think, at least at first glance. I'm sure there are ways to scale it up, but to start I won't have to worry about anything more super than Bane or Poison Ivy. I think I'm going to head more in the direction of the show Gotham than the shiny 80's Batman, at least as far as feel goes. Not for the timeline obviously, but for the gritty feel anyway. I want room for non-super and low-super. Something more Suicide Squad than Justice League.

Remove ads