Besides D&D, what are you playing?

PabloM

Adventurer
●Assorted board games - between about 5 of us we've got almost 200 different. So when it's a BG night everyone brings 2-3 & we decide what to play.:)

I read quickly and when I saw "BG night" I thought of Baldur's Gate night.
If we add quarantine to that, now I want to play it and beat it in one night...

Jokes aside, what a good initiative to complement the TTRPG nights with board games

Kersus

Explorer
Currently running Tunnels & Trolls Japan "The Tomb of Axton" on Roll20/Discord.

This is a test to see if I can make a fun game in a new medium (newish to me - played but this is my first GMing on R20).

Kersus

Explorer
●Flames of War - 15mm minis game. Has options for WWI, WWII, 'Nam, Arab/Israeli wars, & 1980s WWIII. Of course I've got stuff for all the eras. :).

How is Flames of War? I've hmmmed and hawed about it for years.

Currently we're playing AT-43, Warhammer Kill Team and Strontium Dog while we finish some minis for Mighty Armies.

Looking for some skirmish rules for 15mm similar to kill team.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Besides D&D, we have an off-and-on game of Monster of the Week going, and I'm working on a setting up a hack of Beyond the Wall.
I’m curious about MotW as a back up game to D&D (low prep, super different vibe) - sounds like it been an ongoing success for you?

ccs

41st lv DM
How is Flames of War? I've hmmmed and hawed about it for years.

Currently we're playing AT-43, Warhammer Kill Team and Strontium Dog while we finish some minis for Mighty Armies.

Looking for some skirmish rules for 15mm similar to kill team.

FoW won't do kill team skirmish well at all.

Overall I really like FoW. Even the current edition. Easy to learn, plays quick enough, easy to store, & won't break your budget. There's also plenty of companies making 15mm stuff, not just Battlefront.
The current edition, v4, is easy to play & now all the eras are operating on the same rules chassis. So if you learn one of them you know how to play all the rest as far as how to move, attack, artillery, etc.

WWI - this is the weakest of the eras.
We've found two major things that detract from it & one minor.
Major: Due to how basic infantry saves work in the game you'll almost never have the type of mass casualties you envision when you think of WWI. Not even when a hoard of pistol wielding Stasi charge across 12" of open ground right into the teeth of waiting MGs, cannon, etc.
Major: The tanks (including armored cars) are waaay expensive pts wise. Sure, it's meant to reflect their rarity. and to some extent their resilience to all but cannon fire. But come on, who doesn't want to play with some WWI tanks??? But even two will eat up sooo many pts....
Minor: There are no airplane rules. Granted, ground attacks by planes in WWI aren't really standard at the time, but they did happen. I could see including a plane at a hefty pts cost. But no. Fortunately other gamers took care of that.

WWII - this is what the games noted for. It does it pretty well.
This current edition is a bit lighter on the detail, options, & list variety (and rules) than v3 was. And by RAW you can make some truly non-historically accurate Frankenstein mixes of forces. But overall it's good.

Fate of a Natio (Arab/Isreli) - doesn't really stand out to me good/bad. It's a mix of WWII stuff & some more modern 60s/70s era stuff.
Mostly I have a force for this era for those nights when this is what's drawn to be played.

'Nam - Here you've got some unique forces/rules. In particular you can build a Brown Water Navy & play river boats.

Team Yankee/WWIII - this is the other era Flames does really well. WWIII in the mid-80s. Good selection of forces, powerful tanks, planes & helicopters. And like with WWII, there's plenty of other companies making models of this stuff. So when you do run across the rediculously pri$ed Soviet scout cars? You've got options.
This is most often a tank battle game. And unlike WWI, the tanks are cheap enough that you can put a considerable # of them on the board (even were you to go all Abrams)

Overall I would highly recommend giving it a try with the WWII starter set "Hit the Beach". It's an excellent value model wise & gives two functioning forces (US & Germany).

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Joining a Dresden Files game. I really want to love urban fantasy, but it's normally a hard sell for me because its intimate association with gothic horror rarely leaves me with many palatable character options.

I'm trying to join the game as the scion of a prehuman cepahlopod deity who created him to be a messiah figure representing her newfound interest in Earth and humanity.

Going to recruit some roleplayers on one of the local Discord servers for a one-shot of Beyond the Fence, Below the Grave, a superb Old Norse supernatural investigation game. I'll be running a modified version of Fall at Old Uppsala, a doomed double wedding between two warring clans at one of the spiritual centers of old Scandinavia. I had some advice from T AKW, the designer of the game, on how to run this, so I'm really excited to give it a go.

Nebulous

Legend
Is the dynamic lighting worth the price? I'm still on a free account. I haven't tried DW yet.

For me it is, but I also ran a map and minis heavy game, so the visuals and props were also very important to me. If you prefer ToTM then no, it's not worth it. I like the dynamic lights also because it is something I cannot recreate at the table, so it adds a new element to the game we never experienced.

Remove ads