• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

BESM 3rd Edtion Game. Pitch a concept!

Kalanyr

Explorer
Its been a long while since I've had the chance to game and I feel like getting back into it. So I'm going for the relatively simple BESM rules. I really have no idea what I want to run, so if there's something you'd love to play describe it! I'll pick whichever concept interests or amuses me the most and then open recruiting.

Kalanyr

Explorer
I think 4 players. Though its not like I don't have a chronic history of stretching 4 to 6 if that many slip in.

Jemal

Adventurer
BESM!!

Hmm.. concepts...
Superheros?
Strangely powered kids at an interdimensional school?
Giant Fighting Robots?
Psionically gifted Super Spies?

Thing I like about BESM is you can play anything from High Fantasy to Modernish Supernatural to Futuristic Sci Fi.. THough I usually prefer to stick to regular D&D for Fantasy.

Kaodi

Hero
I confess that I don't have BESM 3e, :\ . Can't afford it right now (but I do absolutely want it). I just couldn't resist asking...

What I am thinking at the moment is a setting where fantasy mecha and magic meet half-way. A world where you have to be able to use magic to use a mecha, and the stronger your magic the better you can utilize your mechas capabilities, but conversely piloting a powerful mecha makes your magic better as well. The story focuses around the hunt for the legendary McGuffin, the supposed blueprint for the first mecha built hundreds or thousands of years ago, which it is believed can shed light on what makes magic work. The primary villain uncovered an ancient mecha, built off of the original blueprint, and now commands the most powerful magic in the land, though his control of it is not precise, as he was but a weak mage before uncovering his new treaure.

Jemal

Adventurer
Kaodi said:
I confess that I don't have BESM 3e, :\ . Can't afford it right now (but I do absolutely want it). I just couldn't resist asking...

What I am thinking at the moment is a setting where fantasy mecha and magic meet half-way. A world where you have to be able to use magic to use a mecha, and the stronger your magic the better you can utilize your mechas capabilities, but conversely piloting a powerful mecha makes your magic better as well. The story focuses around the hunt for the legendary McGuffin, the supposed blueprint for the first mecha built hundreds or thousands of years ago, which it is believed can shed light on what makes magic work. The primary villain uncovered an ancient mecha, built off of the original blueprint, and now commands the most powerful magic in the land, though his control of it is not precise, as he was but a weak mage before uncovering his new treaure.

Oooh, and I now exactly how to do that in the BESM Rules... make the magic and Mecha powers "Require" each other, giving you bonus points, and then use those bonus points ON the magic and mecha powers... Thus, they make each other more powerful.

Shayuri

First Post
Hmm...BESM's specifically and explicitly for modeling anime-style fun, as I recall.

And a recurring and entertaining anime trope is that of Ninja/Mecha/Magic/Etc High School.

Perhaps, to build on the idea already suggested, the PC's are not seasoned warriors with these magic mecha...but rather kids being trained to use them. Insert wacky hijinks and/or teen angst, depending on subgenre.

Kaodi

Hero
The 15 year old trope isn't really one I'd want to roleplay. I can see enough of that on TV, hehehe... Characters who are between 17-22 (Over The Hill) would certainly be OK though for beginning training.

In any case, its not much, but I do have the old BESM fast play rules, so I can perhaps at least understand enough to keep a conversation going. For instance, how many bonus points to the rules give you for requirements, Jemal? Dynamic Sorcery and Own A Big Mecha are both expensive abilities, a 4 pts apiece. A bonus would help a little, but you'd still start out pretty low (which would be fine by me). One thing the Fast Play rules dont go into is how you level up though. Is it as simple as being awarded Character Points for completing goals?

Jemal

Adventurer
Actually, Dynamic Sorcery and OBM are 8 points/rank...

As for the Defects/Requirements, you could use several...
make each of them Dependant on the other (2BP),
add Magical Restriction:Major(Only works while wearing Mecha Armour) to your Magic (2BP),
OR, what I would suggest, is use the Restriction defect on each. 3BP (Major Restriction: DOES NOT work without the other).

The other way to do it would be to spend your points in the OBM ability, and spend a bunch of the MECHA's points on Magic, meaning that your Mech would technically be the one with the Magic, but using Flavour it would work well with your idea, b/c things cost Half when your Mech buys them.. THUS, the more powerful your mech, the more powerful your magic.

Kalanyr

Explorer
*hmmmm* *nods*

Sounds interesting so far. Any other pitches ?

Also lets be sure I've got this one right:

Concept 1
Setting: Basic Training/College type thing ?
Ages: College age (If you want to play a child prodigy or mature age student I won't smite you with lightning, well I might but it won't be because of that)
Thematics: Magical Mechs.
Requirements: Own a Big Mecha & at least 1 magical ability (I don't mind by which mechanism you get the magic be it Dynamic Sorcery or Power Flux or abilities that have a Magic source)
I'll allow people to purchase Magical abilities independent of Mecha if they want to, but that will be rare settings wise (and will require some sort of background explanation).

Sound about correct ?

Remove ads