• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best 2nd Ed. Site Based Adventures

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I am sriously considering converting my current campaign over the 2nd edition -- for a variety of reasons. What are the best site based 2nd edition adventures -- i.e. the ones that are easily shoehorned into a homebrew setting?

Thanks.

grodog

Hero
I've always loved Roger E. Moore's Return of the Eight module---less so for the shoe-horning plot intro, moreso for the rich settings (Tenser's Castle and Luna), and for the involvement of Iggwilv and Tuerny in the plot. Good stuff :D

Well regarded mods from 2e ...

Return to the Tomb of Horrors
(includes a beautiful reprint of the original)
Dragon Mountain
Rod of Seven Parts
The Night Below
Gates of Firestorm Peak
Axe of the Dwarven Lords
The Illithiad Trilogy
The Sea Devils Trilogy
The Eye, Tyrant Trilogy
The Silver Key
Return of the Eight
Dead Gods
The Dancing Hut of Baba Yaga

and Carl Sargent's Greyhawk adventure about sneaking into Iuz's dark city ...

EDIT: City of Skulls

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Sir Elton said:
Return to the Keep on the Borderlands is very, very good.

elton.

I didn't even remember that I had ever purchased this, but I discovered in my old box of 2e stuff last night and skimmed through it. it does seem like a decent adventure. I also own Dragon Mountain and Return to the Tomb of Horrors, though I have never run either of them.

One thing I noticed: while 2e stat blocks are a little shorter, they are no harder or easier to read than 3e ones, and for NPCs anyway, 3e ones use one thing that helps out a whole bunch -- gender and race right in the name. It took me 5 minutes of digging through text on one of the RtKoB NPCs to figure out the character's race.

Sir Elton said:
Return to the Keep on the Borderlands is very, very good.

elton.

Contentious opinion. Out of all the return to's (Slavers, Liberation of Geoff, Tomb of Horrors, White Plume Mountain, ToEE), the Return to the Keep on the Borderlands is the most maligned from the research I've done. The most common complaint, I believe, is that the changes omit some locations and enemies that are fan favorites. I haven't seen it personally.

They are all supposed to be decent, though.

Last edited:

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
- Gates of Firestorm Peak. One of my favourite adventures of all time.
- The Shattered Circle. This one is often overlooked as it came in the latter days of 2E but I think it's worth a look at.
- The Accursed Tower. The best thing about this adventure is the site itself. It's a castle that sunk into the permafrost. I have used the maps repeatedly.

Most 1e adventures are usable interchangeably with the 2e rules, and are generally fairly easily slotted into a homebrew setting. Why not use those? The adventures from 1e are widely agreed to be its strongest feature.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
PapersAndPaychecks said:
Most 1e adventures are usable interchangeably with the 2e rules, and are generally fairly easily slotted into a homebrew setting. Why not use those? The adventures from 1e are widely agreed to be its strongest feature.

If you have some suggestions, please feel free...

Remove ads