• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best 2nd Ed. Site Based Adventures

delericho

Legend
I didn't buy or run many 2nd Edition modules, but I did very much enjoy "The Shattered Circle", and "Night Below" seemed pretty good on a read-through.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
PapersAndPaychecks said:
Literally, dozens of suggestions. What levels, class mix and general environment (medieval european, arabesque, oriental etc.) are we aiming at?

Any. it is a campaign world, not just a campaign, and I like using site based modules to populate it. Gimme your top 10.

Reynard said:
Any. it is a campaign world, not just a campaign, and I like using site based modules to populate it. Gimme your top 10.

Option 1

Your starting point is a combination of L1: Secret of Bone Hill and U1: Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh. Replace "Saltmarsh" with Restenford from L1, put the Haunted House from U1 on top of the hill nearby, so you get a fully-designed and populated starting town, wilderness and selection of ruins/dungeons complete with high-level clerics nearby who'll raise dead for a fair price.

Then run:

First session, Haunted House from U1;
Second session, Giant Rat tunnels from L1;
Third session, Sea Ghost from U1.

You can carry on to U2 if you want, but U2 and U3 aren't as good imo. Better to finish L1 either go on to L2 or (my personal fave) place UK2 and UK3 in the mountains north of Saltmarsh, continuing thence to UK4, then WG4 and S4 further up into the same mountains. After this your party should be ready to start thinking about GDQ.

Option 2

Combine B2 and B1, putting the dungeon from B1 in the "Cave of the Unknown" in B2, which should be sufficient for your adventurers to proceed directly onto UK 2-3 and continue as above.

Option 3

Start with T1-4, which should take the characters directly to level 7-ish, then go straight onto S4.

Option 4

(For use if some of your players are grognards who've completed the above modules before): Pop over to Dragonsfoot and download Goblin's Tooth or the Melford series to get your players started. ;)

dragonlordofpoondari said:
PapersAndPaychecks ... I like the way you think. Those are nice ideas.

Do you have any more similar schemes with other modules up your sleeve?

Sure, varying by setting. For example, for the 4-8 level range, you could go UK6 -> I1 -> C1 (or going with the desert part of UK6, UK6 -> I3 -> I4 -> I5, although I'm not really all that much of a fan of Tracy Hickman's stuff; railroad city.)

Sir Elton said:
I have G1-G2, and Vault of the Drow. Although you need Queen of the Demonweb Pits to round it out nicely.

:)

I never liked Q1 that much. There's a really brilliant alternative ending by John Turcotte (free download from Dragonsfoot) which is much better.

Remove ads