• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best (but simple) Superhero Game out?

Madmaxneo

Explorer
This is one of those differences between narrative games like FATE (or MHR) and more traditional RPGs. "Flies at Supersonic Speed" (or any other trait) isn't necessarily a mechanical thing like it would be in, say, D&D. It's a narrative truth that defines what is or is not possible for the character. It can also have a mechanical impact, but that's only important in situations where the outcome is in doubt.
I agree. I think narrative games are better suited for the super hero genre, at least for me it is. I know the group I played MSH with in the 80's enjoyed the narrative more and I enjoyed running the games, and playing them when my other friend GM'd. I prefer a more mechanical thing for my fantasy and sci fi RPG's. To be honest with you, I prefer Rolemaster for my fantasy RPGing, which is almost the complete opposite than the more narrative MSH. It just seems to fit better.
Bruce

Madmaxneo

Explorer
Yeah, the Karma to Hero Point conversion was pretty straight forward and leveraged a lot of the existing rules. (Instead of spending X Karma to increase the color of the result, you just spend 1 hero point, etc.)

For advancement, it was literally 1-for-1, but I only allowed the standard ranks. (So if you banked 10 points, you could raise your Strength from Good (10) to Excellent (20).) I found that over the life of that game, it wasn't that disruptive, but you might want some guidelines on how far certain abilities can be increased. (Human limits as well as caps on offensive and defensive powers.)

And when I say "modeling rules" I think I mean the same thing you do. I sit down with the players and say "What do you want your character to do?" and we choose and detail out appropriate powers and effects. We then use benchmarks in the existing game to determine appropriate ranks.

, but I have a good relationship with my players and I run superhero games so that characters are always matched up against villains of equal power (so the Superman character has a Bizarro to fight while Batman is scrapping with ninjas).

Cool, it sounds a lot like the games I played with my friends in the 80's. I hope to get that back with this new group. I think having a good connection with your players is essential to running a great long term game.

The group I am running with now is currently only 3 players strong, hopefully that will change. I just have to get people to trust in a system other than d20 or one of its byproducts.

It is interesting because they are apparently not used to GM's giving and asking advice on the game and their characters, outside of the game. I may create and direct the story but they are the characters in the story and I want them to enjoy it as much as I am. That is why I asked their input on what game would they prefer for a super hero game.

Bruce

scadgrad

First Post
BASH or ICONS

I've ran quite a lot of BASH, but for now, our group has moved to ICONS. My group enjoys the extra granularity from ICONS over BASH. It is also far better supported than BASH. It is greatly improved by the use of Greater Power and Team Up and you can base loads of villains if need be simply by using the vast collection of DC characters over at the ICONS Wiki. Marvel heroes are pretty easy to convert as well since there is a very subtle use of the old MSH descriptors that allow you to convert to the 1-10 power scale of ICONS. You simply need the stats from the old MSH Advanced book and off you go. We play ICONS with the 45 point buy, but other groups might enjoy the standard random chargen better. I've played Champions since the early 80s and it's my fave, but ICONS is much easier to teach and play casually, especially with larger groups.

Madmaxneo

Explorer
Never played BASH but ICONS sounds a lot better from your description. My old gaming buddy from the 80's name is on the ICONS book (that's how he puts it) but he still recommends MSH from the 80's. Maybe because we had a lot of great gaming moments playing it. I guess that is one of the things that drives my GMing, is that everyone has fun. That is the point of the game right?
To be honest my super hero idea is on hold for now. My HARP game is starting to gain players and we are limited to once a week because of our schedules and the game store where we play at.
I have been looking at Mutants and Mastermids for when we do get a chance to play, though if I get the funds ICONS is something I will definitely look into. Thanks for the advice.

Bruce

mrm1138

Explorer
Out of curiosity, which system did you end up deciding to go with?

...we are limited to once a week because of our schedules and the game store where we play at.

/sigh. I'd love to be "limited" to once a week. I have two groups that are limited to once per month, and sometimes one of those groups has to skip a month. :(

Madmaxneo

Explorer
Actually none. That idea fell through because the group fell apart when one guy got a job driving trucks across the country. There was only two left after that and one was a young kid and not even a partially decent role player that really didn't listen to advice.....
I did end up getting the Icons PDF and the Savage worlds core book (softcover) and am thinking about the Super Hero supplement.
I haven't really played in awhile now. I did join a group that plays other games but they didn't care for my primary choice of game (HARP), of which I need to run to playtest some possible future products. I ended up quitting that group because of that and their gaming styles were more suited to monty haul style gaming (which is not my style).

I am thinking of running a demo at one of the local hobby stores. I also need to get working on the game I want to run at Gencon this next year, though at the rate I am moving with that I will not get it done it time.

Bruce

Matchstick

Adventurer
Actually none. That idea fell through because the group fell apart when one guy got a job driving trucks across the country. There was only two left after that and one was a young kid and not even a partially decent role player that really didn't listen to advice.....
I did end up getting the Icons PDF and the Savage worlds core book (softcover) and am thinking about the Super Hero supplement.
I haven't really played in awhile now. I did join a group that plays other games but they didn't care for my primary choice of game (HARP), of which I need to run to playtest some possible future products. I ended up quitting that group because of that and their gaming styles were more suited to monty haul style gaming (which is not my style).

I am thinking of running a demo at one of the local hobby stores. I also need to get working on the game I want to run at Gencon this next year, though at the rate I am moving with that I will not get it done it time.

Bruce

I loved the superhero companion for Savage Worlds. Just reading through it always gives me great ideas!

Madmaxneo

Explorer
So do I. I realize at this point I need to build a new group and that isn't always easy especially in this day and age. Even though table top RPG's are coming back with a bang it is hard to compete with such established games like the D&D franchise and Pathfinder.

Remove ads