OD&D Best Classic Adventures?

A masterpiece no one's mentioned yet: UK4: When a Star Falls.

UK4.png
uk4_when_a_star_falls1.png

Last edited:

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
A masterpiece no one's mentioned yet: UK4: When a Star Falls.

In a world where modules had questionable art on the covers ....

UK4 had the questionable-est.

What am I saying? It was bad. It was the type of thing that you might see hanging on a dorm wall in the 70s and say, "Dude, get yourself some taste. Because that's pretty heinous. I mean, there's some crushed velvet and blacklight posters that can bring you some class, but that? Ugh."

Volund

Explorer
We recently started a game using the OSE rules and it's been a lot of fun so far. Playing through B3 Palace of the Silver Princess before heading to the Isle of Dread. I haven't seen it mentioned yet but B4: the Lost City is a good mini-campaign. The Goodman Games Original Adventures Reincarnated books include both the original adventure and a 5e version.

In a world where modules had questionable art on the covers ....

UK4 had the questionable-est.

What am I saying? It was bad. It was the type of thing that you might see hanging on a dorm wall in the 70s and say, "Dude, get yourself some taste. Because that's pretty heinous. I mean, there's some crushed velvet and blacklight posters that can bring you some class, but that? Ugh."

Art* is a mirror. Through art we see a reflection of ourselves, our psyches, and our imaginations.

* In Sir Roger Scruton's sense of the word.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Art* is a mirror. Through art we see a reflection of ourselves, our psyches, and our imaginations.

* In Sir Roger Scruton's sense of the word.

Sure. But have you looked recently at THAT mirror?

Let's go past just the basic stuff (like the whole "is it going for symmetry, or not, because ... man, it does bad job at both") and just look at some of the individual elements.

You have a planet that somehow disappears when it should be seen in the background. You have the whole, "I hate drawing feet, so I will position this so there are no feet ... wait, this guy has to have feet ... wait, I hate feet, so ... maybe just one?" It's a good thing most of the limbs are somehow gone, because what little we see? The proportions are all wrong.

And what about perspective? HA! That's probably what the artist said! "Perspective? What's that?"

This is a cover so bad that it looked at The Endless Stair, laughed, and said, "Hold my beer."

Last edited:

Sure. But have you looked recently at THAT mirror?

Let's go past just the basic stuff (like the whole "is it going for symmetry, or not, because ... man, it does bad job at both") and just look at some of the individual elements.

You have a planet that somehow disappears when it should be seen in the background. You have the whole, "I hate drawing feet, so I will position this so there are no feet ... wait, this guy has to have feet ... wait, I hate feet, so ... maybe just one?" It's a good thing must of the limbs are somehow gone, because what little we see? The proportions are all wrong.

And what about perspective? HA! That's probably what the artist said! "Perspective? What's that?"

This is a cover so bad that it looked at The Endless Stair, laughed, and said, "Hold my beer."

Personally, I prefer the unpolished, armature art style. I feel like it correctly embodies the DIY spirit of D&D.

Remove ads