D&D 5E Best Crit-Fisher Builds

Wurawdawger

First Post
The Gloom Stalker Ranger looks like a pretty excellent 3-level dip for a Crit build, specifically for Dread Ambusher

"You can give yourself a bonus to initiative rolls equal to your wisdom modifier. At the start of your first turn of each combat, your walking speed increases by 10 feet. If you take the attack action on that turn, you can make one additional weapon attack as part of that action. If that attack hits, the target takes an extra 1d8 damage of the weapon's damage type"

With the Fighter's action surge, you can make two attack actions on your first turn and get two extra attacks from this, if you have Haste, you can take yet another attack action and get a third attack from this. you also get an extra d8 of damage, naturally doubled on crits.

If we really wanted to go deep on this, we could run something like:

Wood elf Fighter(2)/Paladin(12)/Rogue(3)/Ranger(4)

Rogue for Assassinate, Fighter for Action Surge, Ranger for Dread Ambusher (which also gives +Wis to initiative) and Paladin for Haste and Divine Smite.

We get 3 ASI, which would be +2 Dex, Elven Accuracy (+1 Dex) and Great Weapon Master for the free bonus action attack on a crit

On our nova turn, we can make 9 attacks: 3 from our Attack Action, 3 from Action Surge, 2 from Haste+Dread Ambush, and 1 bonus action from GWM. We get 3d8+sneak attack+divine smite extra damage.

We could also rework this to use Half-elf, drop some Paladin levels for 3 levels in Hexblade/Blade warlock, and get Cha to attack, but that makes you more MAD, especially since you're losing another ASI.

You have to get 13s in 4 stats to use all those classes, plus you miss out on a higher crit range. The extra attacks are nice though. Also the sneak attack and GWM won't work together.

Gavin O.

First Post
You have to get 13s in 4 stats to use all those classes, plus you miss out on a higher crit range. The extra attacks are nice though. Also the sneak attack and GWM won't work together.

Yeah, the stat requirement is a bit rough. I'm not using GWM for the -5 to hit/+10 to damage, I'm just using it for the bonus action attack on a crit, which works with any weapon. This build would be focused on Assassinate which grants auto-crits during a surprise round, so I don't as much need expanded crit range.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
5th lv lock gives you access to Eldritch Smite, and as you pointed out, 3rd lv spells, so more dice. Only 2 uses per SR, but if you're in a party that SRs often, then it can add up. Plus it's force damage, which is nice.

Eldritch Smite explicitly only allows Warlock slots. Paladin's divine smite has been errata'd that it allows any slot, so all those bard spell slots become extra damage.

NumYummy94

First Post
Yeah, the stat requirement is a bit rough. I'm not using GWM for the -5 to hit/+10 to damage, I'm just using it for the bonus action attack on a crit, which works with any weapon. This build would be focused on Assassinate which grants auto-crits during a surprise round, so I don't as much need expanded crit range.

Since you're going Ranger anyway, I would drop GWM altogether and use my bonus action for Hunter's Mark.

DragonDM

First Post
What's your best crit-fishing build?

Hi Yunru,

Reckless atttack- "...doing so gives you advantage on melee weapon attack rolls using Strength ..." phb 48
Elven Accuracy- " Whenever you have advantage on an attack roll using Dex, Int, Wis or Cha you can reroll one of the dice once" XGE- 74

Unfortunately you don't get to roll the extra dice when recklessly attacking.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Hi Yunru,

Reckless atttack- "...doing so gives you advantage on melee weapon attack rolls using Strength ..." phb 48
Elven Accuracy- " Whenever you have advantage on an attack roll using Dex, Int, Wis or Cha you can reroll one of the dice once" XGE- 74

Unfortunately you don't get to roll the extra dice when recklessly attacking.

The UA Elven accuracy feat that preceded the official Xanathar's one worked with reckless attack.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I know it's a style or preference thing, but "crit-fishing" really drives me crazy. Constantly begging the DM for advantage, then exploiting it for rerolls to make a natural 20 more common (and therefore, less exciting), that's not really my jam.

But if it were: I'd probably go with an elf (drow) warlock (hexblade, blade pact). For my invocations, I'd take the Devil's Sight and Improved Pact Weapon invocations, and I'd take the Elven Accuracy feat and the Lucky feat as quickly as possible. Hex my foe, drop my free darkness spell, and then go bonkers.

barduchi

Villager
My favorite crit-fishing build:
Point buy:
STR 14
DEX 10
CON 13
INT 8
WIS 12
CHA 15

Race: Half-elf (drow variant to darkness and fiery fire) / +1 STR and CON / + 2 CHA

Classes:
Fighter level 1 - Saving throws, heavy armor and Fighting style

Hexblade Warlock 5 levels - Pact of the blade, extra atk through invocation, Eldritch Smite, lots of combos with spells to give advantage (Devil's sight +Darkness/Hold Person...), Hexblade Curse... and u can use a Greatsword with CHA!
ASI - Elven Accuracy +1 CHA

Champion Fighter 2-4 - crit 19-20
ASI - GWM

Paladin 2 levels - Another Fighting Style and Divine Smite

Shadow Sorcerer 9 levels - Sorcery points, more slots, Hold Monster, Hound of Ill Omen, easy darkness...
2 ASIs - U can get lucky feat and bump up your CHA

Last edited:

Gregory Kirk

Villager
My crit build, which is working out pretty well so far (lvl 8):
Half-Orc fighter, Champion for the crits on 19& 20 at 3rd Level.
Great weapon Fighting style (re-roll 1's & 2's on your damage rolls)

Polearm master feat. This give you opportunity attacks any time an opponent enters or leaves your reach, and a bonus action attack for 1d4
Orcish Fury feat, once per rest you get to add an extra damage die to a successful attack. Since crits double your damage dice,this die also doubles for on crits.

You crit 10% of the time at LVL3 or higher. Once per short rest that crit hits for 5d10 +STR, (or 5d4 +STR for the butt stroke) "Regular crits hit for 3d10/3d4 +STR

To maximize your attacks, step to withing 10 ft, attack (2 main, one butt stroke) then step back 5ft, when the opponent enters your reach on their turn you get another attack at them. With 3-4 attacks per turn even without advantage you generate a lot of critical hits, one of which will do 5d10+STR.

If you have a second melee type(Fighter, barbarian, Forge Cleric even) working as a team can be devastating, as with the right movement and positioning you can force any opponet who wants to attack you to take an opportunity attack from both your fighting companion when they leave his/her reach, and from you when the enter it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases