Best LP/8-Track/Cassette/CD/ Digital/Opening Song

R_J_K75

Legend
EDIT: AS OF 8/30/23 @9:03 AM lets just say it doesnt have to be 3 opening tracks, just list your favorites. And talk about music and concerts.

I titled this Best LP/8-Track/Cassette/CD/ Digital/Opening Song knowing there are many generations of music coinsurers on here. So without further ado...what are your favorite opening album tracks?..,.

I know it's hard but try to keep it to 3, which I've already have not done so...HAVE AT IT...

1) Soundgarden - Superunknown: Let Me Drown
2) Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway: The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
3) Pink Floyd - The Wall: In the Flesh or also acceptable- Dark Side of the Moon: Breathe

I've lived in the house that I live in now since 1986, and this was on the wall of my bedroom when we moved in, most people won't know what it is. I won't make you wait, It's the sticker that originally came in the first pressing of Pink Floyds Dark Side of the Moon.
DSotM.jpg

Last edited:

Larnievc

Hero
For me it would be ‘I Feel You’ on Songs of Faith and Devotion by Depeche Mode.

It really showed the new direction they were heading in.

R_J_K75

Legend
It really showed the new direction they were heading in.
I've never listened to Depeche Mode, they had various incarnations.? "Ministry" were like them and the Cure before they went Industrial. Think their first album was "Every Day Is Halloween", ........until Jesus Built My Hotrod.

R_J_K75

Legend
"Thunder Road", from Bruce Springsteen's Born To Run, has to be up there. More recently, "Tranquilize" (w/Lou Reed) from The Killers' Sawdust album.
Always wanted to see Bruce in concert. He came here to Buffalo more than a few times over the last 25-30 years if not more, but never went and I kick myself in the ass but the thought of a 4 hour show is daunting. I better pack a lunch. I like Springsteen just never listened to a record of his start to finish to recognize an opening track.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
There's so many good ones I can't possibly keep it to three, but this is just off the top of my head:

1. Blitzkrieg Bop, Ramones, Ramones
2. Debaser, Doolittle, Pixies
3. If I Should Fall from Grace with God, If I Should Fall from Grace with God, The Pogues

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
"Halfway Home" from TV on the Radio's Dear Science
"The New Year" from Death Cab for Cutie's Atlanticism
"Circles and Squares" from We Were Promised Jetpacks' In the Pit of the Stomach

I'd plausibly accept "Song #1" from Fugazi's EP 3 Songs

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
  • Fight Fire with Fire on Metallica's Ride the Lightning album - the orchestral part into the metal - oof
  • Hell's Bells on AC/DCs Back in Black - must be played at 11!
  • Values Here on Dag Nasty's Can I Say - the thunder of the rolling toms with the guitar lick

If I sit here longer, I'll come up with another dozen or three, but I'll just sit back and nod along with others as they roll in

(Also, I am in a cafe, and am listening to In Too Deep by Genesis - I love music 😁 🎶 )

When the question is so open ended, my mind can go in so many directions. And I have to agree that the suggestion of Dark Side of the Moon in the OP is an amazing great place to start.

Does the overall quality of the album factor in, or just the first song? If the whole album matters, then taken to the extreme this could just be asking "What is the best album with the first best track", in which case Sgt. Pepper has to be one of the strongest contenders.

On the other hand, I want to think of how well the first track introduces the album as a whole. Tracks that aren't just good quality, but effectively draw the listener into the journey that the album will take. Of course, this favors concept albums. In this mindset, the opening combo of the Central Scrutinizer / Joe's Garage, from the album of the same name by Frank Zappa, is magical in the way it sets up the rest of the story, while also just plain rockin' out.

And lastly, I could answer the question based on the best opening riff. Disregarding the album completely, what are the most powerful opening notes of all time? Going really old school, I think I have to give that to Beethoven's 5th.

Now, do you want to get really messy? Include soundtracks. Movies and musicals.

Remove ads