Best LP/8-Track/Cassette/CD/ Digital/Opening Song

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
"Welcome to Planet Motherfucker/Psychoholic Slag," off White Zombie's La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Volume 1.

"Underneath the Stars," off the Cure's 4:13 Dream

"Batman," off Naked City (originally credited just to John Zorn, before the group on the album also became known as Naked City).

R_J_K75

Legend
Does the overall quality of the album factor in, or just the first song?
I would say yes, a great opening track on an otherwise bad album doesn't mean much. There are certainly ones that are either too long or just taper off to make for a bad to mediocre album overall. One that comes to mind is "Exile on Main St. It opens with "Rocks Off", but besides a few good songs it's too long, lots of filler and overrated, I think.
On the other hand, I want to think of how well the first track introduces the album as a whole. Tracks that aren't just good quality, but effectively draw the listener into the journey that the album will take. Of course, this favors concept albums.
I think you are right the question probably caters more towards concept albums but not entirely, a great album is a great album. Sgt. Peppers is considered by some to be the first concept album even though the songs don't necessarily follow the same concept lyrically or musically but rather the band envisioned themselves as taking on fictional characters in a fictitious band.
Now, do you want to get really messy? Include soundtracks. Movies and musicals.
Have at it, it's a pretty open-ended question and is pretty subjective so you can interpret it and answer as you will.

R_J_K75

Legend
"Welcome to Planet Motherfucker/Psychoholic Slag," off White Zombie's La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Volume 1.
It's funny how my musical tastes have changed since this CD came out and I probably haven't listened to this CD in its entirety in close to 30 years, maybe 1994. I was a casual fan of White Zombie and Rob Zombies solo stuff. Last CD I bought of his was the "Sinister Urge" which I liked and actually listened to quite a bit at the time but nowadays I'd really have to be in the mood to throw them in my CD player today.
"Underneath the Stars," off the Cure's 4:13 Dream

"Batman," off Naked City (originally credited just to John Zorn, before the group on the album also became known as Naked City).
Can't say I'm familiar with either of these.

R_J_K75

Legend
I think it's safe to say that for most people these days, at least with younger generations who grew up with streaming services the idea of listening to an album start to finish is an antiquated notion. Even bands are just releasing singles/or 3-4 song EPs rather than full records. Even within my circle of friends when we're hanging out we usually find it hard deciding on what to play and just end up playing random songs that come up on YouTube based on stuff we have listened to over the years. Which is a shame as on the few occasions when we do play something start to finish its something we've all listened to a million times like "Dirt" by AIC for example.

R_J_K75

Legend
Bangers all the way through. Completely agree.
Shame they imploded so quickly, they could been huge, like the next Rolling Stones. For all intents and purposes as far as releases go, they put out 3 CDs and 1 EP between 1987 and 1991. I don't really count the Spaghetti Incident as its all covers, and Chinese Democracy was an Axl Rose solo CD as far as I'm concerned. My opinion is that they've been riding the nostalgia wave for too long since Duff and Slash came back and they either need to naughty word or get off the pot. Release some completely new music with the current line-up, not some re-worked Chinese Democracy leftovers. Even if they did I'm not sure they're still relevant in this day and age. Their death knell was when Izzy left. I don't think many people realize how integral he was to the sound of the band. All the writing credits on AFD and Lies are listed as "Guns N Roses", once UYI 1 & 2 came around they started listing individual writing credits so apparently the cracks were already beginning to show.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Oh man, I wore the cassette out on AC/DC Razors edge. Thunderstruck is one hell of a way to start an album.

angus young paso del pato GIF

R_J_K75

Legend
Oh man, I wore the cassette out on AC/DC Razors edge. Thunderstruck is one hell of a way to start an album.

angus young paso del pato GIF
Saw them live on that tour at the Buffalo Memeorial Auditorium. Smaller indoor venue with an approximate capacity of 19,000. Probably one of the loudest shows I've ever been to.

Remove ads