Best LP/8-Track/Cassette/CD/ Digital/Opening Song

R_J_K75

Legend
3. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band/With a Little Help from My Friends, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles
That's actually two different songs if Im not mistaken.
And I’ll second Welcome To The Jungle. The banshee wail is a great way to open an album.
The banshee wail and Slashs delay ridden guitar. Little known fact - On AFD, Slash didnt play a Gibson Les Paul. he played a LP copy, and the producer (Mike Clink?) brought in a modded Marshall stack for the sessions that Slash mysteriously walked away with, LOL. I remember first seeing this video on MTV's Headbangers Ball in 1987 after midnight with a friend. When it was over, we both looked at each other and said WTF did we just watch? There was a feeling of angst, danger and innovation in their music then. It seems so funny now but back then it was true. When Axl started that riot in St. Louis they were rushed out of the venue on the floor of a bus and saw Izzys amp cabinet at a bus stop about 4 blocks away. They were a great band

R_J_K75

Legend
Back in 2017, I still listened to the radio, amd I recall getting into my car after visiting my FLGS and picking up Tomb of Annhilation...and that scream started up as soon as I started the car...perfection.
Me and a friend (actually the same guy above where I mentioned first seeing Welcome to the Jungle), were driving into a parking spot while listening to Baba O'Rieley and he pulled into the spot, hit the brakes and shut the car off in perfect time to end of the song. Its strange the things you remember.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
To continue my cassette days;
Out of Time by R.E.M and Radio Song

A great album opener that leads right into the very somber Losing My Religion.

R_J_K75

Legend
A great album opener that leads right into the very somber Losing My Religion.
I'm going to go with "What's the Frequency Kenneth" off Monster".

I couldn't stand Losing My Religion when it came out, 90 or 91? At the time I worked in a hardware store, and they played music really low, to soothe the customer, but drive the employee insane...

I got 3 worst songs from 1990
(1) Losing My Religion
(2) The Silent Lucidity
(3) The Winds of Change

Don't get me wrong, not bad songs but working in that place and having to listen to the same songs over and over was like travelling in an eternal elevator straight to hell that never gets there

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I'm going to go with "What's the Frequency Kenneth" off Monster".

I couldn't stand Losing My Religion when it came out, 90 or 91? At the time I worked in a hardware store, and they played music really low, to soothe the customer, but drive the employee insane...

I got 3 worst songs from 1990
(1) Losing My Religion
(2) The Silent Lucidity
(3) The Winds of Change

Don't get me wrong, not bad songs but working in that place and having to listen to the same songs over and over was like travelling in an eternal elevator straight to hell that never gets there
I know what you mean. For me it was about 10 years later. Nickelback, Bon Jovi revival, etc..

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
I had to LMAO at this, no offense @Hriston
None taken, although, as you seem to have picked up on below, I wasn't really talking about how they endeavor to recreate their records on stage, which is true, but rather that their live play list seems to consist only of songs from their first four albums, giving it the feeling of a Pixies revival show
So......didnt the guy from the Pogues die? But before that fell down the stairs in winter at his house and busted out all his front teeth? Played a few shows then kicked the bucket?
He's been in and out of the hospital since December when he was diagnosed with viral encephalitis. He was admitted again in June and is there now, I think, but is still alive AFAIK.

I hate when bands dont pull out a few deep cuts and play only hits. I always think of it as OK youre playing the hits to please the fair weather fans but what about the hardcore fans, throw us a bone too.
I haven't been following the Pixies for a long time and only recently found out they've been (mostly) back together for the last nineteen years, so I'm hardly what you'd call a hardcore fan. I was just struck by how backward-looking the concert I watched on youtube, which took place last year in Germany, was for a band that's been releasing new records for the last ten years. It seems like their live show is still in reunion tour mode.

So Joe Strummer, Joe Strummer from the Clash, fronted the Pogues at one point? Ah....

I'll take that as a yes...
The story is that frontman Shane MacGowan became averse to touring and was fired by the rest of the band in 1991. They toured as "The Pogues featuring Joe Strummer" for the rest of that year. I saw them at the Wiltern in L.A. on 10/11/1991. Looking at the set list, I'm reminded they also did the Clash's Straight to Hell and covered Brand New Cadillac, so that's four Clash songs, although two of them were covers of covers the Clash recorded. Although I was attracted by Strummer's name on the bill and am a huge fan of The Clash and Joe Strummer, it was a very different experience from seeing The Pogues with MacGowan, but at least it was what I expected. There was another Pogues show I went to before that where Shane just didn't show up, which was disappointing although I enjoyed Spider Stacy on lead vocals. It still felt like a Pogues show, whereas the show with Strummer was something else.

Remove ads