• Commander

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • Warden

Votes: 8 8.1%
  • Sentinel

Votes: 0 0.0%

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Well, a power that has a requirement like "the ally must be able to hear & understand you" might be literally a command, as a name like "Commander" might imply, or it might be a warning, pointing out an opportunity, offering advice, giving encouragement, or coordinating a pre-arranged or oft-used battle plan/trick/maneuver. Without such a restriction, a maneuver that granted an ally an attack or bonus might also/instead involve creating an opening by binding then enemy's weapon or shield and/or distracting it.
So widening the concept beyond “commander” to something more like “adviser” or someone who provides other types of battlefield support might be in order?

Tony Vargas

Legend
So widening the concept beyond “commander” to something more like “adviser” or someone who provides other types of battlefield support might be in order?
"Support" probably shouldn't be taken too literally, not anymore than "leader" or "heal-bot." *

* not say'n there's anything wrong with Warforged taking the Healer feat...

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
"Support" probably shouldn't be taken too literally, not anymore than "leader" or "heal-bot." *

* not say'n there's anything wrong with Warforged taking the Healer feat...
Well, by “battlefield support”, I meant the types of maneuvers you were describing, playing Robin to someone else’s Batman or however you would characterize them.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I know there's some cognitive dissonance with what amounts to calling the class Batman when Robin is what it does, but I really don't see the profit in going this deep into the tank about it. Pick a cool name and roll with it. I don't particularly care for the name Warlord personally, but the name of the class isn't why I'd play it. If I were picking I'd have a little more Batman in the mix anyway, but I just don't see that the name is worth this much bother. However, don't let my opinion ruin your fun, as your were gentlemen.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Robin as a teen did team inspiration to be certain
I know there's some cognitive dissonance with what amounts to calling the class Batman when Robin is what it does, but I really don't see the profit in going this deep into the tank about it. Pick a cool name and roll with it. I don't particularly care for the name Warlord personally, but the name of the class isn't why I'd play it. If I were picking I'd have a little more Batman in the mix anyway, but I just see that the name is worth this much bother. However, don't let my opinion ruin your fun, as your were gentlemen.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Well, by “battlefield support”, I meant the types of maneuvers you were describing, playing Robin to someone else’s Batman or however you would characterize them.
Yeah, I'm just paranoid at this point.... ;)

It's helpful to have reasonably intuitive labels in a discussion. And Warlord is no more unintuitive for what it does than Paladin or Cleric - indeed most D&D classes less generic than "Fighter"* - were when they were new, and less problematic than the implications of Cleric ("if you don't worship my deity, no healing for you!") or Thief ("of course I'm going to steal from my own party, I'm just playing my thief character!") were at that time (and for years and years afterwards). Any discussion of changing the name perforce uses the name, to avoid confusion. Witness the confusion in this thread.

* and even that implied boxer to some folks in the 70s.

Last edited:

Remove ads