• Aragorn (LoTR)

Votes: 49 75.4%
  • Faramir (LoTR)

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Cyclops (Krull)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dar (Beastmaster)

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Eric the Huntsman (Snow White and the Huntsman)

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Hank (D&D cartoon)

• Deedlit (Lodoss War)

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Mani (Brotherhood of the Wolf)

• Natty Bumppo (Last of the Mohicans)

• Johnathan Knox (Shoot to Kill)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Grizzly Adams (Grizzly Adams)

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • Owen (Jurassic World)

• Robin Hood (Robin Hood, various)

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • Aquaman (Aquaman/Justice League)

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Benjen Stark (GoT)

Votes: 10 15.4%

Tony Vargas

Legend
I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but few (D&D cartoon, Lodos War) of these depictions have been trying to emulate D&D classes. For the older ones, it's literally the other-way-round. D&D tried to emulate various sources of inspiration - the Ranger, the literary Aragorn, for instance, which the movie version was presumably also adapting. So the comparison is interesting, if the Hollywood & the D&D adaptations of Aragorn are at all similar, they'd be backing eachother up.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The basis of the ranger is Aragorn

Archetypes of a D&D magical ranger are Dar and Aquaman.

Last edited:

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
Again, there can be only one correct answer.

giphy.gif

RANGER DANGER!
isn't Aquaman more of a druid? I know he fights and stuff, but iirc he relied on his animal friends A LOT in Super Friends. like I'm pretty sure that show is what ruined his image more than anything.
Ok time to fight

Robin Hood isn't a ranger.

He is a fighter/rogue hiding to the woods. And he isn't even relying on nature nor mastering it.
And he has no magic abilities.
sort of non-sequitor, I remember the one time as a child I decided to be Link from the Legend of Zelda for Halloween. I finally got Link to the Past that year after years of wanting it and thought it'd be so cool, but when I went to school everyone just assumed I was Robin Hood. we also had a "parade" for everyone who dressed up, a lot of parents explained to their kids that I was Robin Hood. this was about a year before Ocarina of Time came out so I was both 10 years too late and one year too early for people to know who I was.

on that note though, isn't Link a good example of a ranger? he has a horse animal companion, good with a bow, even uses some magic (explicitly via spell in one game). I guess his only real on screen appearance was the Zelda cartoon from the 90's so we'd have to go with that lmao.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
In disagreement with @Minigiant , to me one of the two true archetypes of Ranger is Robin Hood: someone forced by circumstance to live off the land and make the wilderness into his ally rather than his enemy. Most of the Merry Men also fall into this category.

The other archetype is of course Aragorn, in his Strider days.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases