• Aragorn (LoTR)

Votes: 49 75.4%
  • Faramir (LoTR)

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Cyclops (Krull)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dar (Beastmaster)

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Eric the Huntsman (Snow White and the Huntsman)

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Hank (D&D cartoon)

• Deedlit (Lodoss War)

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Mani (Brotherhood of the Wolf)

• Natty Bumppo (Last of the Mohicans)

• Johnathan Knox (Shoot to Kill)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Grizzly Adams (Grizzly Adams)

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • Owen (Jurassic World)

• Robin Hood (Robin Hood, various)

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • Aquaman (Aquaman/Justice League)

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Benjen Stark (GoT)

Votes: 10 15.4%

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
In disagreement with @Minigiant , to me one of the two true archetypes of Ranger is Robin Hood: someone forced by circumstance to live off the land and make the wilderness into his ally rather than his enemy. Most of the Merry Men also fall into this category.

The other archetype is of course Aragorn, in his Strider days.

Does he really live off the land though?

He steals from people and goes back to town to give to the poor. But does he take a cut to feed himself and the merry men?

And the Merry Men. That's a lot of human help, isn't it? They are Merry Men not Merry Treermen, Merry Moldmen, or Merry Bunnymen. Although the Disney one was furry and had bunnies. But they all were animals.

Sounds more like a fighter who took a level of rogue when he got chased into the forest and took Stealth and Perception skills.

I mean how many trees and animals did Robin Hood talk too?

But that's just my opinion. Fox Robin Hood.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
Ok time to fight
Robin Hood isn't a ranger.
He is a fighter/rogue hiding to the woods. And he isn't even relying on nature nor mastering it.
And he has no magic abilities.
Wierdly enough, the original 0D&D/1e Ranger wasn't even a particularly good archer.
A fighter/rogue would at least have every reason to have a high DEX.

Of course, Robin Hood - a charismatic leader of armed insurgents controlling a territory within the confines of a troubled state in open defiance of that state's legitimate authority - was quite literally a warlord. ;p

Last edited:

Undrave

Legend
Marshall Bravestarr I tell ya! He's living on the Frontier, he knows nature, he's got magical powers and even an animal companion! Plus is weapon of choice is a ranged weapon!

ALSO! Did you know Bravestarr has an official youtube channel with episodes? It's true!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Wierdly enough, the original 0D&D/1e Ranger wasn't even a particularly good archer.
A fighter/rogue would at least have every reason to have a high DEX.

Of course, Robin Hood - a charismatic leader of armed insurgents controlling a territory within the confines of a troubled state in open defiance of that state's legitimate authority - was quite literally a warlord. ;p
They don’t control any territory, they’re bandits that have a forest that they hide in.
When the Prince’s men come, they run and hide. They haven’t laid claim, they are loyalists to the King.

Does he really live off the land though?
Yes. One of the things he "steels" is venison.

As for spellcasting, the 1980s TV series gave Robin a connection to the minor deity Herne the Hunter.

NB I disagree of the inclusion of Benjen Stark over Jon Snow in the poll. Jon Snow has the animal companion and is therefore more like a D&D ranger (although favouring 3rd edition).

Last edited:

teitan

Legend
Which edition because the ranger hasn’t been consistent through editions. 1e it’s very much Aragorn. Beyond that... I dunno.

Coroc

Hero
I voted for Aragorn, but the funniest thing about that survey, is that Aragorn in fact is more of a paladin with a woodsman background than a ranger.

Coroc

Hero
Again, there can be only one correct answer.

giphy.gif

RANGER DANGER!

Now this is fishy, you will not present this as a beastmaster will you???

:p

Remove ads