Best Sources for VTT Maps?

Retreater

Legend
For me one of the biggest challenges to transitioning to online play is having maps that can be ready to go for supplemental or random encounters. I have tried making my own, but it's time consuming and they don't look great.
Do you recommend any sources for quality, varied maps on the VTT? Free or paid.

Nebulous

Legend
There are lots and lots of patreons that make high quality maps for a minimal monthly subscription. I enjoy Crosshead for one, but there are many others. There's hundreds of free ones online as well. If you just google "Roll20 maps" for example you will find links to sites and artists who either give it out free or a patreon. Lastly, using Roll20 again as an example, their marketplace has packs of maps you can purchase. I've been collecting maps since January, if I find one I like I download it and save it to my computer for future use.

Nebulous

Legend
Jd6WpSx.jpg

For me one of the biggest challenges to transitioning to online play is having maps that can be ready to go for supplemental or random encounters.

I agree. At the table I can easily describe a scene and do a quick sketch on the battlemat. Online, the quick sketch tools in Roll20 are very difficult to work with. Moreover, when people are used to fancy graphics in their video games, a black-and-white sketch looks weak. Unfortunately, no matter how big my map collection gets (and I have a lot!) I often find myself without what I need. My games often go in surprising directions with a lot of improv... I can't load enough maps to be ready for every possibility.

Do you recommend any sources for quality, varied maps on the VTT? Free or paid.

Patreons that I have gotten great maps from include Neutral Party, 2-Minute Tabletop, Dice Grimorium, and Eightfold Paper.

IainD

Explorer
Heroic maps are another source both via DrivethruRPG and Patreon. You could also look at Game Tile Warehouse 'Meanders' range of tiles.

I agree with @Shiroiken you can find some great stuff on r/battlemaps. imgur tends to have map dumps every now and then. Bookmark them and keep them for later. You can even search for a D&D tag to find results faster.

Since transitioning to online play*, I've actually been running more written modules and using the provided maps.

*And watching most of my free time evaporate like morning dew.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases