D&D 5E Better Beasts?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
There would be something quite scary to be chased by a pack of fox-hunting dogs that had instead been trained to hunt adventurers... Maybe do something with "Swarm of Insects" and make them "Pack of Dogs" that take up Gargantuan space or something.
I do love me some huge swarms made up of small and medium critters.

I think maybe pack hunters should have a sneak attack damage bonus, or something where one wolf can set up the attack for another wolf. I guess pack tactics is there for that but it feels like it’s not quite there.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
There would be something quite scary to be chased by a pack of fox-hunting dogs that had instead been trained to hunt adventurers... Maybe do something with "Swarm of Insects" and make them "Pack of Dogs" that take up Gargantuan space or something.
... and if they Squeeze into a smaller space (pile all over / on top of you) they do extra damage.

dave2008

Legend
I think maybe pack hunters should have a sneak attack damage bonus, or something where one wolf can set up the attack for another wolf. I guess pack tactics is there for that but it feels like it’s not quite there.
Any ideas? I think pact tactics is a pretty good interpretation of this idea, but I am open to ideas. I am thinking of updating the wolf next and then doing a Pack of Wolves as suggested.

doctorbadwolf

Any ideas? I think pact tactics is a pretty good interpretation of this idea, but I am open to ideas. I am thinking of updating the wolf next and then doing a Pack of Wolves as suggested.
I"m not sure. Pack Tactics feels like only part of the solution, to me, but I'm having trouble figuring out what I'd add, exactly. Perhaps extra damage against prone targets, so when a wolf knocks a creature down, and the pack moves in, the end is quick and brutal?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Reaction (need a flavorful name)
Trigger: an ally of yours knocks an opponent prone in a space adjacent to you.
Effect: You make a Bite attack on that opponent. (or Claw or whatever the smaller 'normal attack' is)
If the opponent is proned in the middle of a mob of Wolves, they all can take a whack at him.

Something like that?

doctorbadwolf

Reaction (need a flavorful name)
Trigger: an ally of yours knocks an opponent prone in a space adjacent to you.
Effect: You make a Bite attack on that opponent. (or Claw or whatever the smaller 'normal attack' is)
If the opponent is proned in the middle of a mob of Wolves, they all can take a whack at him.

Something like that?
I really like that, though I wonder if it might make more sense in terms of wolf hunting behavior if the wolf can simply make two attacks, rather than one, if it's target is prone.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I really like that, though I wonder if it might make more sense in terms of wolf hunting behavior if the wolf can simply make two attacks, rather than one, if it's target is prone.
Aw, you're gonna make me find the National Geographic Channel and dig through its archives. 😀. To study how wolves hunt.
I propose that as a Reaction on somebody else's turn, not the main attack on the Wolf's own turn. Hence the single attack. The wolf can still multiattack on its own turn.
In the worst case (from the target's point of view), one wolf gets you in the leg and knocks you down, then 8 more wolves snap or swipe at you before you can even roll over to protect yourself.

doctorbadwolf

Aw, you're gonna make me find the National Geographic Channel and dig through its archives. 😀. To study how wolves hunt.
I propose that as a Reaction on somebody else's turn, not the main attack on the Wolf's own turn. Hence the single attack. The wolf can still multiattack on its own turn.
In the worst case (from the target's point of view), one wolf gets you in the leg and knocks you down, then 8 more wolves snap or swipe at you before you can even roll over to protect yourself.
Yeah, either way works. I simply suspect that wolves may hunt in a way that is closer to taking individual swipes in a hit and run sort of style, and then swarming when one of them takes down the target.

If I'm right, perhaps Disengage as a bonus action?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
N
Yeah, either way works. I simply suspect that wolves may hunt in a way that is closer to taking individual swipes in a hit and run sort of style, and then swarming when one of them takes down the target.

If I'm right, perhaps Disengage as a bonus action?

maybe frighten to force prey to run (wolves always attack from behind) with pack hunting tactics being trip-hold-swarm

I remember a BBC documentary where the wolves ran pass a buffalo herd and located a lone bull. The wolves then stopped, took time to drink and waited until the bull went down on its knees.

somehow the wolves had detected that the lone bull was dying (so some special scent feat to detect low hp?)

Remove ads