"Better TV/Movies Than They Have Any Right To Be"

I didn’t care for the first 2 Evil Dead movies all that much, but I respect that they had to come first in order that the genius of Army of Darkness could be unleashed.

Evil Dead 1 hasn't aged well. Evil Dead 2 is basically Evil Dead 1 on steroids, with a big budget and more humor and insanity.

Army of Darkness is full on comedy, with Raimy dialed to 11. It remains my all time favored movie.

If you woke me up in the middle of the night to watch Army of Darkness, I would say: "Where's the popcorn? Lets go!"

Zardnaar

Legend
Can I ask what Star is? ive heard of Starz (the home of shows such as outlander)

Certain movies work because of 1 actor stealing the show and going off script. Jim carrey movies probably dont work if he doesn't go off script. robin Williams is the same type of actor (love him or not). Alladin isn't a hit if he isn't as crazy as he is

I would argue The Evil Dead movies are better than they should be due to Bruce Campbell. It probably isn't a big hit if say Bruce willis played the role of ash or pick another actor

I can think of lots of "classic tv" that is better than it should be due an outstanding performance of 1 actor

Star gas been added to Disney+ outside USA. It's a lot of 20th Century Fox stuff and up to R16/18.

Lots of movies and TV shows. We've watched Die Hard, Romancing the Stone/Jewel of the Nile, Aliens and Predator franchises etc.

Disney+was very sparse in release with did all new stuff. We canceled after Mandalorian.

With Wandavision and Falcon+Star it's been getting a lot of use along with random Simpson seasons (6-10 or so).

Lylandra

Adventurer
My little pony - friendship is magic - expected a kids show and wanted to know what the fuss was about. Strangely good humor, pop culture references, character development and meta comments.

Starship Troopers - with its cynicicsm and irony ranging from in your face to meta.

Megamind - agree with the OP

Ryujin

Legend
Can you explain this one? I know it initially did poorly at the box office, but today it's generally recognized as a classic.
I would even put the original 1951 movie that is based on, "The Thing From Another World", in that category ("classic"). It is, however, definitely a movie that's better than it has a right to be when you consider that it's about a carrot man, from outer space, who crashes his flying saucer in the Arctic and then goes on a blood bender.

Going to take this in a slightly different direction...

Mac and Me. No, I'm not claiming this is a good movie. This is a terrible movie. But it has one major redeeming quality: it's treatment of disabilities.

For those that don't remember or haven't seen the movie, the main character is a kid in a wheelchair. To play him, the production team hired an actual kid in a wheelchair. And throughout the movie, it's not the focus for the kid or a defining character element. It's not featured prominently in the trailer or other marketing materials. The other kids never ask about his wheelchair or his medical condition. It's simply accepted that being unable to walk is just a background part of the character. The movie doesn't shy away from the wheelchair at all, including scenes where he's helped in and out of a van; but it's always treated as a completely normal, day-to-day thing. Even during the infamous scene where the kid falls of a cliff, everyone treats the accident basically the same way they would if any kid who couldn't swim fell into a lake.

Writers today seem to be unable to break away from tropes that need to "balance" disabilities with some special skill, or turn everyone with autism into a super-genius, or put some other bizarre focus on what makes disabled characters "different". It's been brought up many times how casting agents have major issues with hiring disabled actors to play disabled roles. Mac and Me manages to handle disabilities better than most of what modern Hollywood is capable of. And that's better than a movie that's 50% ET knockoff and 50% commercials for McDonalds and Coke has any right to be.

That reminds me: Silver Bullet. A Stephen King werewolf movie with a kid in a wheelchair. The movie makers couldn't get the werewolf suit done in time, forcing them to not show the creature for most of the film. And much like with Jaws, this works in the movie's favor. When at long last you do see the werewolf briefly, it looks pretty good. But it is the build up that makes it all work.

Remove ads