Beyond level 30?

Dragonblade

Adventurer
I really hope that WotC at least addresses what happens beyond level 30. It was completely ignored in SW Saga (which only goes up to 20) and that really bothered me. Not only that but action points in SW Saga require levelling up to replenish. Apparently 20th level characters just don't get to replenish them? Its ridiculous. (And yes, I know there are Jedi talents that can replenish action points. What about non-Jedi?)

Its like a set of train tracks that just end suddenly out in the middle of the desert.

Now 4e doesn't need to provide for unlimited levels beyond 30. We saw how that worked in the ELH, but I'd like it addressed somehow.

What is beyond 30? Perhaps a mechanic to still acquire skills, feats, and powers? Perhaps a retraining mechanic of some sort? You can give up existing skills in order to gain new ones? Feats? Powers?

I just don't like the notion that your PC just ends. Frozen forever at level 30 with no where else to go, no way to further evolve or change in any way. WotC please address this!! (And in SW Saga too!)

Henry

Autoexreginated
Dragonblade said:
I really hope that WotC at least addresses what happens beyond level 30. It was completely ignored in SW Saga (which only goes up to 20) and that really bothered me. Not only that but action points in SW Saga require levelling up to replenish. Apparently 20th level characters just don't get to replenish them? Its ridiculous. (And yes, I know there are Jedi talents that can replenish action points. What about non-Jedi?)

I settled that with a house rule of my own -- any character that spends at least six months in downtime no adventuring has their force points restored to their full current level. This allows an "old timer" to come out of retirement, or for a long downtime for PCs between campaign arcs, and let the PCs start off at "full."

Even if there were no rules for level 31 and up, I would be statisfied. I know of very few people who run games past level 20 or so, and if level 30 was the mortal maximum, it would actually fit with older editions of D&D, where the max level was level 36, after which only ascension to godhood was a path of personal power.

Doug McCrae

Legend
It's an interesting question. BECMI is the only edition of D&D ever to have a proper end point. After level 36, you become an Immortal aka a god.

A level 1 god. :)

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Henry said:
Even if there were no rules for level 31 and up, I would be statisfied. I know of very few people who run games past level 20 or so, and if level 30 was the mortal maximum, it would actually fit with older editions of D&D, where the max level was level 36, after which only ascension to godhood was a path of personal power.

I'm ok with 30 being the maximum level. I just want a provision for your character to evolve or be able to change in some way. Even a retraining mechanic of some sort would be cool.

Flynn

First Post
I would hope that action points shift from "per level" to "per session", to avoid the issues that people have with level capping. In my own games, I use "per session" and it works out very well. (Oh, and with "per session", I don't allow them to save up leftover action points from session to session.)

With Regards,
Flynn

Patlin

Explorer
Flynn said:
I would hope that action points shift from "per level" to "per session", to avoid the issues that people have with level capping. In my own games, I use "per session" and it works out very well. (Oh, and with "per session", I don't allow them to save up leftover action points from session to session.)

With Regards,
Flynn

Would it matter if a session was 2,4,6 or 8 hours? The 2 hour group would be able to use the points a lot more often than the 8 hour group!

Remove ads