Beyond level 30?

Dragonblade

Adventurer
WotC_Miko said:
You know what I really like? Coming to these boards and finding a request for a game mechanic...that we've already addressed.

:D

Nice! :)

But does the retraining mechanic make sense for a level 30 character? Retraining in the PHB2 requires you to level up as part of the process. If a level 30 character can't level up, will the retraining mechanics still be viable?

I certainly hope so.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Loincloth of Armour said:
This is better handled by simple house-rules that better fits your playing style than by instructions from on high.

DM: "Okay you 20th level dudes, we've finished this arc of the story. Everybody gets back 5 (or 10 or 2 or all or whatever, pick a number that fits your game) Force/Action points. Up to your normal level max."

It doesn't seem that hard to impliment, and quite frankly I want WotC to spend their time ironing out bugs in the levels I will play at rather than worrying about hand-holding epic characters.

I agree that it could be handled by house rules. But I'd prefer official material.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
WotC_Miko said:
You know what I really like? Coming to these boards and finding a request for a game mechanic...that we've already addressed.

And thank you for posting! We really appreciate it when you and other WotC staffers drop by with comments!

Goken100

First Post
Henry said:
Even if there were no rules for level 31 and up, I would be statisfied.
OMG, that is the awesomest typo ever, I'm totally using that. I'll write up my house rules like so:
"Either point buy or random rolling can be used, whichever leads to greater statisfaction."
or
"After determining the possible scores, they can be rearranged until the player is statisfied."

You get the idea. :)

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
WotC_Miko said:

You know what I like? Having you ladies and gents coming here to tell us stuff like this. :D

Thanks!

Green Knight

First Post
WotC_Miko said:

Fantastic! I've been hoping for a retraining mechanic in the rules after since PHB2. It's great for when you've played the character for a while, and decide to change direction midstream. God knows I'd be pretty miffed if I were building up towards becoming a Cavalier, and get all the appropriate Feats, only for the campaign to start revolving around heavy dungeon delving and the Underdark. It's nice to be able to rework a character to fit changing circumstances. Or when a new supplement comes out, and it's a perfect fit for your character concept. It's nice to be able to retrain to take it and any other appropriate Feats you may need as prerequisites.

I also like the potential that this has for NPC's. Take Elminster, for instance. He's a 3rd-level Cleric, 2nd-level Rogue, 1st-level Fighter, and 29th-level Wizard. It's been a while since I've read The Making of a Mage, but one could simply say that he started off as a 1st-level Fighter. Then when he hit 2nd level he retrained into a Level 2 Rogue. Then when he hit 3rd level he retrained into a Level 3 Cleric. And when he hit 4th-level he retrained into a Level 4 Wizard, and levelled up as a Wizard from there. So in 4E he could be just a Level 29 Wizard, period.

Same for Drizzt. He's, what, a Level 10 Fighter, Level 1 Barbarian, and Level 6 Ranger? Instead of making him a 17th-level character, make him an 11th-level character. With retraining he could've converted six of his Fighter levels into Ranger levels, making hiim a Level 4 Fighter, Level 1 Barbarian, and Level 6 Ranger.

Of course, retraining won't make sense for all NPC's, as some of them still use abilities from their old classes, but it'd be nice if the future writeups for NPC's took into account the possibility that some of them may have retrained, rather then multiclassed.

tenkar

Old School Blogger
gizmo33 said:
Yea. When you're on 10, where can you go? Where can you really go for that extra power? My characters go to 11.

Yes, but is your Stonehenge 18" tall or 18'? That better be addressed properly in 4th ed ;)

Remove ads