• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General BG3 Massive Spoiler Thread

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
I didn't want to kill Bernard but he had a sweet looking sword and apparently a ring I need to access some sweet loot.

Luckily he's just a "robot" so I don't feel to bad about it.

Getting into that tower (with the anti-magic flower) though was a straight pain in the butt.

Getting into that tower (with the anti-magic flower) though was a straight pain in the butt.
Yeah I was struggling with it until I decided to just send Gale up by himself, casting his own Invisibility until it dropped (then recasting as necessary - in the end I only need to cast it 2-3 times), to work out how to shut it down (as a something of a wizard himself, I assumed, I think correctly, he was the best candidate). Just ran up, jumped in one window near the doors, saw that another window lead outside and seemingly down and kept going that way until I got to the bottom and solved the little puzzle.

I can see a lot of other potential solutions too (one Featherfall could have saved a ton of jumping).

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Yeah I was struggling with it until I decided to just send Gale up by himself, casting his own Invisibility until it dropped (then recasting as necessary - in the end I only need to cast it 2-3 times), to work out how to shut it down (as a something of a wizard himself, I assumed, I think correctly, he was the best candidate). Just ran up, jumped in one window near the doors, saw that another window lead outside and seemingly down and kept going that way until I got to the bottom and solved the little puzzle.

I can see a lot of other potential solutions too (one Featherfall could have saved a ton of jumping).
I had no invis. I ran the Barb up to the patio. Used the mushrooms to work my way down to the ground (ouch) and into the back door. She got hurt a lot but oh well.

Screenshot 2023-08-29 125053.png

Lots of changes/fixes coming in Patch 2, including epilogues, which there have been some controversy about.

I'm gonna guess that "begins our journey" part will have to do with activating the epilogue content that is already in the game files, which we know of thanks to datamining. The content that was pretty much always intended to be there, but was cut because of the month-early release.

And honestly, I can't even hate on that decision. People who don't have hours of free time every day to play this game weren't going to get to the endings (or maybe even to Act 3) by this time. And Larian's move to release a month earlier than Starfield was smart from a business standpoint. Regardless of how much better BG3 might end up being than Starfield, releasing in direct competition against Starfield would NOT have gone well.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
View attachment 293703

Lots of changes/fixes coming in Patch 2, including epilogues, which there have been some controversy about.

I'm gonna guess that "begins our journey" part will have to do with activating the epilogue content that is already in the game files, which we know of thanks to datamining. The content that was pretty much always intended to be there, but was cut because of the month-early release.

And honestly, I can't even hate on that decision. People who don't have hours of free time every day to play this game weren't going to get to the endings (or maybe even to Act 3) by this time. And Larian's move to release a month earlier than Starfield was smart from a business standpoint. Regardless of how much better BG3 might end up being than Starfield, releasing in direct competition against Starfield would NOT have gone well.
I am expecting to take months to get through a fairly complete first run through, given my schedule. Which dovetails nicely with the Starfield release date -- since Bethesda will need a couple months to patch that to playability! The only thing I worry about is a major update corrupting a save.

I agree, and clearly reviewers and most players do as well.

Larian has some space and faith because the game is basically so good, and also Deus Ex, Mass Effect 3 and Fallout 3 ate the "HOLY HELL THIS ENDING SUXS" bullets for them, so RPG gamers are kind of used to terrible endings, and thanks to ME3 and FO3, already have the idea that endings can be fixed/improved (albeit the FO3 change was ultra passive-aggressive and pathetic on the part of the devs, showing a really profound egotism). So just hearing that BG3 is going to improve the endings will calm people down a ton (otherwise we might have seen quite a lot of annoyance in the next month or so as more and more people completed it and went "That's it?!").

And yeah, going up against Starfield, absolute best case would be if Starfield kind of sucks, and they we just have endure a terrible idiotic console-war-adjacent back and forth for the next couple of years over whether Starfield or BG3 is better and BG3's sales would have been much, much lower because a lot more people have played a Skyrim or FO4 than DOS2.

This way, even if the initial product wasn't as good as it could have been, it's still good, and Starfield and BG3 both get to be judged largely on their own merits.

I think some people are going to be pretty judgemental (and perhaps rightly so) towards Starfield's story, characters and choices, because of BG3, but I don't think it'll make a big difference to anything but "gamer discourse" because most people buying Starfield are just going to wander around aimlessly shooting people and exploring procedurally generated bandit bases, rather than engaging with the story particularly.
Which dovetails nicely with the Starfield release date -- since Bethesda will need a couple months to patch that to playability!
Bethesda have been claiming Starfield will be their least buggy release ever (it seems MS has had huge QA teams on instead of just whatever three people and a cat Bethesda usually uses), but yeah, we're really grading on a curve here, and "least buggy Bethesda game" is kind of like "least slimy slug" or something. It's still probably going to be pretty slimy.

Vael

Legend
Also, my understanding is Larian has some goodwill rep because they did the same with DoS2? Changed and upgraded the ending, I mean.

Bethesda have been claiming Starfield will be their least buggy release ever (it seems MS has had huge QA teams on instead of just whatever three people and a cat Bethesda usually uses), but yeah, we're really grading on a curve here, and "least buggy Bethesda game" is kind of like "least slimy slug" or something. It's still probably going to be pretty slimy.

Admittedly, early reviews that I've heard have claimed not to have hit any bugs, but take it with a large grain of salt.

Also, it's Space Skyrim ... and I found Skyrim overwhelming. As much fun as it was, the thought of reloading it and reinstalling all those mods ...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads