• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General BG3 Massive Spoiler Thread

TheSword

Legend
Gale exists to cast fireball at opportune times. It's all I ask of him.
Yes, I get a fair bit of mileage out of Gale and Wyll when it comes up as an opportunity!

The elevations is another reason it becomes harder to use AOEs. Often you can’t see the point you want to reach because there are so many ledges etc. To be honest my spellcasters are misty stepping all over the place!

TheSword

Legend
Thunderwave is great, the pushback can set things up really well.
It’s another first level spell though right. Kinda sucky when your 9th level mage is upcasting magic missiles and thunderwave because the high level spells aren’t reliable.

Evards Tentacles is one of my favourite spells in D&D and it’s very weaksauce in the game. As is spike stones.

Scribe

Legend
It’s another first level spell though right. Kinda sucky when your 9th level mage is upcasting magic missiles and thunderwave because the high level spells aren’t reliable.

Evards Tentacles is one of my favourite spells in D&D and it’s very weaksauce in the game. As is spike stones.

Yeah, I'm level 10, and I really still just stick with the reliable things. MM, Fireball, Thunderwave, Misty..hmm. I got good use (real good) out of a Summon, and Counterspell has been clutch.

Maybe I need to branch out, but that will be for my next run if I ever actually get to the end here.

Some info on patch 2:

Not really buying the "oh we thought the epilogues were too long!" lol.

MarkB

Legend
Anybody finding that AOE magic is much less useful. Enemies across act 1 and 2 seem to be far more spread out over large areas. Enemies have large numbers of very efficient ranger weapon attacks which makes control spells like spike growth, entangle, evards black tentacles etc far less effective. Particularly with all the jumping enemies can do.

I find myself casting Magic missile leveled up more than any other spell - which feels wrong for a high level wizard.

I’m pretty sure the most effective group in this game would be a load of martials - particularly with the huge volume of armour and weapons and the lack of wands and staves.

On a positive side I do find myself using lighting bolt quite a bit in conjunction with misty step as they seem to have ignored the bonus spell/cantrip rule. Excellent as lightning bolt ignores my friends for some reason. Maybe that’s all we need to do to make lightning bolt popular again!
You can easily concentrate the enemies if there's a choke point, such as a door or ladder. If you can put your characters out of sight beyond it, a Spike Growth plus Cloud of Daggers combo will make it a meatgrinder.

Lightning Bolt doesn't exclude allies by default. I'm guessing you specced your wizard as an Evoker, as that's their speciality.

Scribe

Legend
Some info on patch 2:

Not really buying the "oh we thought the epilogues were too long!" lol.

Yeah considering the amount of dialogue we are getting through just to play the game, I'm pretty sure thats not the problem here lol.

Thunderwave is great, the pushback can set things up really well.
Killed that phase spider matriarch with a well-placed thunderwave.

Fireball is situational depending on if you can get 4 - 5 enemies to group up. After the githyanki creche turned hostile because I defied their queen, I mowed down bunches as they ran up to Shadowheart (who had spirit guardians up) in large groups. Gale was able to take down groups at a time.

Remove ads