D&D General BG3 Massive Spoiler Thread

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Finally nearing Baldurs Gate. Currently at the Circus and Karlach got teleported to Chult or something. It worked out. Frickin nice Trident.

Here is a mini I painted awhile back. Can’t wait to find him… someday. 120 hours in and not even in BG yet.
IMG_2639.jpeg

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
I was quite impressed with how well they nailed his voice and accent. I looked it up, wondering if they got the same guy, then discovered they used Matt Mercer. He must have put a lot of practice into it.

The dude who did the original voice said he was more than willing to come back but Larien didn't contact him. It was a "thing" back when it was announced that Mercer was doing the voice.

DragonBelow

Adventurer
In my first play thru, I ended up killing Minsc, but on my second one he is at my camp. He has a lot of dialog, and I didn't notice it was Mercer.

The dude who did the original voice said he was more than willing to come back but Larien didn't contact him. It was a "thing" back when it was announced that Mercer was doing the voice.
Yeah, the whole thing is a little shady. But I trust Mercer enough to doubt he meant any harm, and I doubt Larian would have minded the old voice actor either. So I wonder if it was a WotC request. No way to know, I suppose.

Is there a responsibility to use an original actor if they are still alive? James Bond and Batman would like a word...
The voice acting community was criminally underpaid for a long time, and it became a somewhat "ruthless" practice to hire impersonators at even lower rates to get almost the same sounding voice. So voice actors developed an unspoken agreement that they would NOT directly imitate the voices of established voice actors to undercut the practice. If you did directly imitate, you had trouble getting jobs.

Eg, you could hire someone besides Kevin Conroy to do Batman, but the new person isn't supposed to try and sound exactly like Kevin Conroy (even if the studio pushed them to do so). Of course there's always quibbling about whether or not a voice sounds too similar, and the old "starving voice actor just needs to put food on the table" argument.

In any case Matt Mercer knows this, so there's some scuffle about why he imitated Jim Cummings so closely. And Jim Cummings didn't know about it / wasn't approached by Larian, WotC, or Mercer. Mercer himself has a lot of credibility so it's doubtful any harm was intended, but something happened there.

The voice acting community was criminally underpaid for a long time, and it became a somewhat "ruthless" practice to hire impersonators at even lower rates to get almost the same sounding voice. So voice actors developed an unspoken agreement that they would NOT directly imitate the voices of established voice actors to undercut the practice. If you did directly imitate, you had trouble getting jobs.

Eg, you could hire someone besides Kevin Conroy to do Batman, but the new person isn't supposed to try and sound exactly like Kevin Conroy (even if the studio pushed them to do so). Of course there's always quibbling about whether or not a voice sounds too similar, and the old "starving voice actor just needs to put food on the table" argument.

In any case Matt Mercer knows this, so there's some scuffle about why he imitated Jim Cummings so closely. And Jim Cummings didn't know about it / wasn't approached by Larian, WotC, or Mercer. Mercer himself has a lot of credibility so it's doubtful any harm was intended, but something happened there.
There was a whiff of scandal about Cummings. It may well have been smoke without fire, but if it had blown up in Larian's face? When there is a lot of money riding on the project business can't afford innocent until proved guilty.

There is also the issue that voices age, and Cummings is about 70 now. Whereas Minsc is stuck at about 40. This was the big issue with getting James Earl Jones back to voice Vader - Vader didn't live till 80, but his voice sounded like it. Jalhera's voice was aged up in BG3.

Remove ads