D&D 5E Bigby's Big Book of Giants

I will say the fire giant, hulk, and firbolg art in the free adventure (the art appears to be from the book) on DnD Beyond looks to be legit.
Yes, it certainly isn't all AI art since there are a lot of other credited artists beyond that one person. The various images posted around seem to be related to the frost giants, as well as at least one of the dinosaurs.

Many are pointing out that the dinosaur image in particular looks an awful lot like someone took the concept art and pumped it through AI to create a (slightly) new image. That one is questionable enough that the original concept artist herself is worried and is contacting WotC to find out what is going on. IF it is the case that it's just her concept art pumped through an AI engine, then it's at least incredibly sketchy to do that and not credit or compensate her as an interior artist.

Plus, I know many of the other artists who worked on that book (and many other 5e books) are passionately anti-AI art since it is already harming their ability to work. So, of course not everyone has a problem with AI art, but regardless of what any of us think, many of their long-time freelance artists are deeply opposed and will be very unhappy with WotC taking this turn. Probably not a good idea to piss off a large chunk of your freelancer pool.

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
The Frostmourn is not AI for sure. The features being called out are part of its lore.
I agree. I don’t think the Frostmourn has any AI elements in it. The Frost Giant Ice Shaper with the weird foot, however, almost certainly does. It’s the most obvious if you zoom in on her armor.
IMG_0802.jpeg

The other one that looks AI to me is the Stalker of Baphomet, especially its weapon.
IMG_0800.jpeg

The Maw of Yeenoghu might also be.
IMG_0803.jpeg

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Again, how is this WotC's fault and not the artist(s), if it is indeed AI art?
They don't just slap the pieces of art directly into the book. Someone hires the artist, gives them direction, gives them feedback on their initial versions of artwork, approves the final piece and then shepherds it through the publication process.

A human absolutely should have known what was going on with the art in the book every step of the way. Assuming they haven't replaced their art director with an AI as well, said human would also know just how polarizing AI art is at this moment and should have realized that there had better be an enormous upside to using it, given that the company had to run around less than 12 months ago, promising they weren't trying to have AI DMs in their VTT run games.

pukunui

Legend
They don't just slap the pieces of art directly into the book. Someone hires the artist, gives them direction, gives them feedback on their initial versions of artwork, approves the final piece and then shepherds it through the publication process.
Exactly.

Assuming they haven't replaced their art director with an AI as well, said human would also know just how polarizing AI art is at this moment and should have realized that there had better be an enormous upside to using it …
Emi Tanji is credited as the lead art director for this book.

Remove ads