• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Biggest 4E PHB complaint...

The Little Raven

First Post
ProfessorCirno said:
So you disagree with my personal tastes in disliking the format of the book?

No, we disagree with the classification of the classes chapter as a Great Wall (implying that it's some kind of insurmountable barrier).

hong

WotC's bitch
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
Are you being sarcastic, or deliberately obtuse?

Many players could quite happily go months or years or forever without needing to read through the 9th level druid spells.

Many 4E players can quite happily go months or years without needing to read through the 27th level warlock spells. OTOH, having all the powers readily at hand when you're making your first ranger is very nice, as opposed to flipping to the back of the book.

The inclusion of the spell lists in the middle of the book, before you got to the meat of the game -- the mechanics of combat, especially -- would have been a mistake. Same as including the powers list before the meat of the book. It drowns the newbie user in tons of boring crap, the rules for half of which hadn't even been explained yet.

This is why you have "chapters".

hong

WotC's bitch
ProfessorCirno said:
So you disagree with my personal tastes in disliking the format of the book?

Seriously?

Indeed, it is possible for people with different tastes to disagree. Behold the wonder of discourse.

Doug McCrae

Legend
This Great Wall is a pretty straightforward issue.

Advantage: No flipping back and forth while creating a character.
Disadvantage: Great wall of hard to read text in centre of book.

However I think the disadvantage is minor because who starts reading the PHB at page 1 and keeps going until page 317? This is how you read a novel, not a textbook.

SSquirrel

Explorer
carmachu said:
The great wall of spells was broken down by classs and by level of the spell, making it easy to deal with. Didnt have to worry about spells of higher level till later unless I wanted to go read them.

The great wall of powers is not. No index, no reference.

Until you got to 3E, when it was purely alphabetical. I have a personal preference for having all the class powers w/the class. A quick glance at the front will tell you to skip about 170 pages in to get past the characters.

Remove ads