• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Biggest 4E PHB complaint...

Gruns

Explorer
My fake OCD goes nuts when I look at the 4E Players Handbook and see 2 Defenders, 2 Leaders, but 3 Strikers and 1 Controller. Obviously, one of those Strikers should have been a Controller.

Warlock out, Illusionist in! Or maybe Druid is a Controller... Bard is probably a Leader. How about a melee controller? Monk somehow? Rogue could should have been a controller. Hamstringing and caltropping and stuff.

Oh well. Obvioulsy I was just bored.

Later,
Gruns

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Gruns said:
My fake OCD goes nuts when I look at the 4E Players Handbook and see 2 Defenders, 2 Leaders, but 3 Strikers and 1 Controller. Obviously, one of those Strikers should have been a Controller.

Warlock out, Illusionist in! Or maybe Druid is a Controller... Bard is probably a Leader. How about a melee controller? Monk somehow? Rogue could should have been a controller. Hamstringing and caltropping and stuff.

Oh well. Obvioulsy I was just bored.

Later,
Gruns

I'm betting the druid will be a controller. But I think you're right, ultimately. There should have been more diversity in the controllers right out of the gate. One of the strikers should have been left out to make room and, since he's the johnny come lately, warlock was it.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Me too! My sense of order in the universe got kicked in the nards when I read that.

I was like, "but, but, that can't be right!"

Scribble

First Post
Quit being so oldskool cosmology in your thinking!

There needs to be no symetry!

D&D = ANARCHY! D&D in the UK!!!! I want to be... D AND D!!!!

Goblyn

Explorer
Goonies

der_kluge said:
Me too! My sense of order in the universe got kicked in the nards when I read that.

I was like, "but, but, that can't be right!"

der_kluge's universe's got nards!?

You see something similar where there's a power with an additional benefit for one of the 'sub-classes' but not the other. It's makes things feel sloppy and rushed. Clearly the 'role' concept occurred pretty early in the design process, and I'm pretty sure at some point someone would have noticed that there were 3 of 1 and 1 of the other. Which means they were screwing with basic stuff far later in the process than they should have been.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
You see something similar where there's a power with an additional benefit for one of the 'sub-classes' but not the other. It's makes things feel sloppy and rushed. Clearly the 'role' concept occurred pretty early in the design process, and I'm pretty sure at some point someone would have noticed that there were 3 of 1 and 1 of the other. Which means they were screwing with basic stuff far later in the process than they should have been.

Or it's a marketing decision to convince people to buy the PHII for its 2 additional controller classes.

Thanee

First Post
They just realized, that Wizard is by far the most popular choice, so they didn't put up another Controller since it could never compete with the Wizard. :p

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads