• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Biggest 4E PHB complaint...

VanRichten

First Post
lutecius said:
All this. Plus they wanted to pimp their shittny new classes Warlocks & Warlords.

And unless things have changed, the Druid will be a hybrid class focused on weather and lightning (controller) or shapechanging (striker?).

I agree with you. But I would be carful or you will get flamed about druids being able to do too many jobs.

System aside my problem is that the Tiefling is a direct cut and paste from World of Warcraft. If you don't believe me check it yourself.

And people keep telling me that this game has nothing MMO about it. ROFLMAO.

P.S. Defender = Tank; Striker = DPS, Controller = Crowd Control, Leader = Healer. hmmmmm

SaffroN

First Post
You don't really need a controller in the group. It is one of the least needed roles IMO. Other characters in the group will be able to pick up the slack of not having a controller in the group quite easily. The lack of a controller in the group actually helps to free up the defender(s) of the group as they have no longer have a 'squishy' ally they must protect.

That would be my guess as to why there is only one controller in the PHB

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'd ditch the ranger for the same reason they ditched the gnome: It has been a class without a niche for 3 editions so far! Plus, with one martial striker already in the bag, a second one is a little more redundant than an arcane striker.

They found a niche for it, sure, but pfft. They found a niche for the gnome, too, and that didn't get the buggers PH space.

But seriously, this is a poster child for some of the 4e schizophrenia going on there. "We don't want people to depend on the cleric, so there needs to be two leaders...however, we don't care if people have to depend on the wizard for 2 months until they shell out another $30. NO SYMMETRY BLARGH."

Including the druid as some sort of "terrain/weather/earth/air cleric-type controller" would have been a good thrust of it, even if it means ditching wild shape mostly. Druids make walls of thorns and swarms of bugs and clouds of fog and, for damage, rains of acid and spontaneous stampedes of phantasmal bison and surprise pits underneath your feet...

I wouldn't say this is my biggest complaint, but it ranks up there with "No Useful Index" for me, 'cuz it makes the game less usable.

Eric Tolle

First Post
VanRichten said:
System aside my problem is that the Tiefling is a direct cut and paste from World of Warcraft. If you don't believe me check it yourself.

The Tiefling? Surely you jest!

It's the human that's a direct cut and paste from World of Warcraft! Just look at the MMORPG- there's humans crawling all over the place! Obviously WOTC saw the popularity of humans in WoW, and decided to put them in 4E...the corproate greedheads.

I am still pretty sure the Warlock began as a Controller class, but they figured that it worked just better as a Striker. Most of the Warlocks power still have a strong control aspect, but it is only focused on a single target.

But I agree - going with 2 classes of each role has nothing to do with symmetry and everything to do with choice. In a perfect [closer to perfection[/s] better world, there would have been 2 Defenders, 2 Controllers, 2 Strikers and 2 Leaders.

The good thing is that at least all classes seem to be awesome. ;)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Kamikaze Midget said:
Including the druid as some sort of "terrain/weather/earth/air cleric-type controller" would have been a good thrust of it, even if it means ditching wild shape mostly. Druids make walls of thorns and swarms of bugs and clouds of fog and, for damage, rains of acid and spontaneous stampedes of phantasmal bison and surprise pits underneath your feet...

My guess is that they will come up with a controller druid and a striker/defender shapeshifter of some sort. Basically breaking up the elements of the druid character class. That's how it would fit 4e best.

And put another wedge into the "it is D&D" vs "it isn't D&D" gulf.

Remove ads