• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Biggest 4E PHB complaint...

Dice4Hire

First Post
Well, it seems obvious to me that they built the PHB for low level play, (like up to about 5th) and the wizard is still a weak controller at that level. Maybe at higher levels, with more supplements the controller role will shine, and higher level play will work better.

Doug McCrae

Legend
The 4e group I ran for had 1 defender, 2 strikers and 2 leaders so an extra controller would have been wasted on them.

I think wizard has been the most popular class choice historically but that doesn't mean we need more controllers. Part of the popularity is probably nerd appeal. Wizards in the past weren't just controllers, they could take on many different roles. And, of course, they were one of the most powerful classes.

Asmor

First Post
That's always annoyed the hell out of me, too. I'd say ditch the ranger (impossible to ditch the rogue, and the warlock's one of the 4e poster children) and replace it with another controller of some kind.

thegrizz

First Post
My biggest complaint with the fourth edition players handbook was the fact that I got two freakin elves. Yes I know they have two different names, and yes I know one is the high elf and the other is the wood elf, but for hecks sake why do I need two elves when there were a host of other races they could of given me.

Aside from that yeah the 1 controller class bugged the crap out of me too. However when I realized that the PHB was about martial, divine and arcane hero's I realized that the next PHB will most likely include natrue, skilled (bard), and x (not sure) heroes and we should see a couple more controller options there.

All in all though I really dig the new rules and thought they did a good job which makes me happy because I was worried they were killing the game with this jump.

lutecius

Explorer
Crothian said:
If that is the biggest complaint you have about the PHB you must be pretty darn happy with it!! :D
billd91 said:
There should have been more diversity in the controllers right out of the gate.
Relique du Madde said:
Or it's a marketing decision to convince people to buy the PHII for its 2 additional controller classes.
All this. Plus they wanted to pimp their shittny new classes Warlocks & Warlords.

And unless things have changed, the Druid will be a hybrid class focused on weather and lightning (controller) or shapechanging (striker?).

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
lutecius said:
All this. Plus they wanted to pimp their shittny new classes Warlocks & Warlords.

Hmmm... well, don't have strong feelings for Warlocks one way or another. But Warlords are fantastic.

Anyway, I remember I was berated for wanting role symmetry. It's not necessary, but I sort of feel that the system and descriptive text are still stuck on what certain classes can and can't do. For instance, it's ok for Arcane and Divine classes to use aspects of control because their powers are magical and otherworldly.

vagabundo

Adventurer
Meh. I wouldnt swap out any of the classes in the current PHB.

1 controller doesnt give much choice, but in a month or two I'm sure something will appear.

Remove ads