• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Billie Quits Who

ddvmor

I'm a little teapot!
The AOL news page, where I first read this uses the word 'Quit'. Apparently she's had other offers. Unfortunately I can't link to it it as it's a members only page, but here's the text:

Doctor Who bosses have been hit by a new bombshell - Billie Piper is quitting the hit TV show.

The 22-year-old blonde, who plays the Timelord's sidekick Rose Tyler, may appear in only three episodes of the second series, according to reports.

The news comes just weeks after Christopher Eccleston announced he was standing down as Doctor Who once the current series ends.

A BBC insider told The Sun: "Billie will feature in some episodes of the second series. But her character, Rose, won’t be the Doctor Who companion at the end of it.

"It's a nine-month, hard slog of filming. Chris and Billie were knackered.

"Billie’s really proved herself as an actress in Doctor Who and she's been bombarded with offers of work both in England and in America."

The paper quotes a BBC source as saying: "No decision has been made about how many episodes she will be in, but it looks likely she will come in and out."

Filming of the new series, with David Tennant as the Doctor, starts in July.

Flyspeck23

First Post
Henry said:
Well, it was nice while it lasted. :) Goodbye again, Doctor! See you in another 15 years? :D

If there's one SciFi show that can cope with actors leaving, it's Doctor Who.
Theoretically speaking :heh:

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Neither is central to my enjoyment of Dr Who. There have been better Doctors and better companions. If they have to be replaced that is the nature of Who. Good while it lasted, but all things must end and all that.

sniffles

First Post
Henry said:
Well, it was nice while it lasted. :) Goodbye again, Doctor! See you in another 15 years? :D

Don't give up yet, Henry - they've already cast a new Doctor, and who knows, we might like him even more than Eccleston. :)

That's a bit of a letdown, though. Are we going to have to throw out any longevity for companions, as well as the idea that the Doctor can only regenerate 13 times, if they keep having to recast so often? (Although I can see a good plot reason for the Doctor to have more regens - he's the last Time Lord, after all. He just has to get round that going to rot bit that the Master ran into - but if you take the Fox movie into account, the Master got round that too)

Okay, ultra-geek moment over. :p

Remove ads