WotC Birthright may be opened up for DM's Guild

TheSword

Legend
Same here.

I do believe it would be more appreciated now then it was then however. Birthright has had a strong influence on many DMs I know, and yet none of us ever ran it. It plays on many tropes that are more popular now than they were in AD&D setting-happy TSR of the late 90's.

As stated before, this setting would be a perfect outlet for official...
  • Mass combat rules
  • Player domain/stronghold/guild management rules
  • Extended downtime rules (like a whole season, or a full year)
  • External power sources to fuel magic (almost à la M:tG)
  • Regional magic
  • A slow(er)-paced campaign construction
  • An official setting with less available, yet powerful magic (I don't dare say "low magic" anymore)
  • "Race/subrace" variants as bloodlines or regional traits (already explored with dragonmarks in Eberron; RftlW)
It also had 25 products and 5 novels, plus a computer game. So I think it made a bigger impact than we’re giving it credit for.

Bagpuss

Legend
I really enjoyed the setting, that product also gives you an idea of what TSR's output was like, compared to WotC. All those products over two years and just for one setting, they were publishing for a load of other settings at the same time.

Admittedly most of those products were pretty slim realm sourcebooks, but others were pretty detailed and had a much higher page count.

It's no wonder it ended up in trouble.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
It also had 25 products and 5 novels, plus a computer game.

At the risk of nitpicking, it actually had six novels, but the last one was moved to a free-for-download release when the line was cancelled.

For that matter, the Forgotten Realms novel The Shadow Stone was originally a Birthright novel that was repurposed to FR, presumably because the line was ending when it was ready to go.

I keep thinking about running a Birthright campaign one of these days. Never touched it back in the day, but I've been idly collecting stuff for it since. Those slim domain books are great resources. They're relatively rules-light and can be fit into most settings quite easily. At least two of them ended up in my 3e homebrew world.

Stormonu

Legend
Birthright had a lot of interesting things going on in it, what always turned me off was the Gaelic/Celtic names and terms.

I would like to see them do the board game they put together a long time ago, using the conspectus for the map. Throw in some plastic figures and a sideboard for mass combats (similar to how Axis & Allies handles combat), I'd bet it would sell pretty well these days.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah. A Birthright campaign setting book would be a great way for WotC to introduce both mass combat rules (which they haven't revisited since that early UA, right?) and rules for building and running a kingdom.

There was the early UA, but they did another go for the XGtE tests that didn't pass muster.

However, there is also the vehicle rules used in GoS, AI, and Descent into Avernus that Mearls let slip were actually part of a broader mass combat system under development.

TheSword

Legend
Birthright had a lot of interesting things going on in it, what always turned me off was the Gaelic/Celtic names and terms.

I would like to see them do the board game they put together a long time ago, using the conspectus for the map. Throw in some plastic figures and a sideboard for mass combats (similar to how Axis & Allies handles combat), I'd bet it would sell pretty well these days.
My sister in law was Welsh so I put the work in. It was definitely a throwback to a more faerie-tale depiction of elves and thus the things they named. Again very like the Witcher, I’d be surprised if it wasn’t influenced though it followed hot on the heels of the first anthology.

Remove ads