• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Black Spine, Red Blood: A Dark Sun 3.5 Campaign

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
I've missed Dark Sun since the day I last used the word THAC0; with the new rules and the rediscovery of much of my old material, I've decided to give a revival a shot. This thread will cover recruitment, character creation, and OOC chat for a game using the rules found here. I'd prefer players who are A) competent, mature roleplayers, B) willing and able to post at a minimum of once every day, and C) familiar with the Dark Sun setting, but have not played, run, or read the Black Spine campaign recently enough to remember spoilers (or capable of ignoring their OOC knowledge). Character creation notes:

36 point buy; for 20 points, a 19 may be purchased, and for 25, a 20.

Characters will be 12th level.

Thri-kreen level adjustment is increased to +2, making them ECL 4 before character class.

All characters will gain the Talented or Wild Talent feat (in the Dark Sun 3 material) as a bonus feat.

The Mindscapes psionic combat system will replace that from the Psionics Handbook; characters without psionic classes will be able to use the modes relating to the key ability used by their Talent, and will be subject to, but not capable of initiating, mindscape combat. (If you do not possess the Mindscapes book, and do not wish to purchase it, the relevant material will be made available).

And most importantly of all, for the game to run smoothly: I intend that all party members should already know each other, work well together, and be willing to pursue the primary plot hook. This means that backstory and personality should be as developed as possible.

Last edited:

Keia

I aim to misbehave
I'm interested in playing. posting and competence should be okay, I've only got some of the old Dark Sun stuff so I may have some trouble there.

Understand everything okay though. Most likely a psion or psi-warrior.

Keia

Jarval

Explorer
Me, me, me! ;)

I'd love to be in a Dark Sun game. I've played it on-and-off for the last eight years or so, and it'd be great to give it another go on-line. I've never even seen a copy of the Black Spine campaign, so there'll be no problems with any OoC knowledge.

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
One more note: if there are rules you'd like me to implement, feel free to suggest them. This includes anything from a Dragon magazine (provided you own that magazine), Unearthed Arcana, or houserules from your own campaign. The only invariant rule in my campaigns is Rule 0.

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
Well, no one else seems to be hopping on, so we may as well begin character creation. Cash is going to be in rather short supply, this being Dark Sun; a total of 30,000 ceramic pieces. You will each be allowed one permanent magical item, of any value you can afford; all other treasure must be impermanent (potion fruits, scrolls, etc), or nonmagical (steel weapons, draft animals, slaves, etc). Ideally, you should work together to create a party backstory.

Wynter Wolf

First Post
I might be interested i will get a look in tonight. OK i do not have access to the 3.5 rules and they want me to pay. so how different are the 3.0 rules from 3.5?

Last edited:

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
Wynter Wolf said:
I might be interested i will get a look in tonight. OK i do not have access to the 3.5 rules and they want me to pay. so how different are the 3.0 rules from 3.5?

The complete 3.5 SRD can be downloaded here. That provides all of the basic information, modified by the Dark Sun 3 document. Both of them are free and legal to download. One small request; if you're going to play in this game, I'd be very much obliged if you could use proper capitalization and punctuation. Without them, posts are harder to read, and what I can't understand I sometimes ignore.

evileeyore

Mrrrph
Got room for another?

I haven't played in DS in roughly 10 years so I'll be reading up on DS3.0 over the weekend.

I would like to play either a 'Fallen' Preserver (okay got me a Defiler to the bone), or a Templar. But as I recall both have problems in most groups.

--EvilE--

PS: Wynter Wolf, I like you already. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads