Black Widow teaser

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Someone, more than 14 years after the fact, is taking a part of a larger piece (and point) and interpreting to say that maybe Carlin "wanted to cause anguish to fat people[.]"

Stop. Stop. Stop.

Read again.

"I don't like to think that." Did you see that? Did that sink in? Because this opening sure doesn't look like it.

As usual, this discussion will not proceed well if we aren't actually reading what the other person writes. And, so far as I can tell, you are off using me as a target for a general point that doesn't fit my position. And that doesn't sit well at all. I have no desire to play strawman target for your defense of the thing.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I hear you, I just think that it there are two, separate, things that go on.

The first is people that use bullying or hurtful rhetoric and, when called out on it, respond with some variation of, "It's a joke, man, get over it."

The second is people that conflate their own sense of humor with a universal idea of what is right and wrong, and act as de facto comedy police.

I'm not a fan of either.
Eh, the second one is overblown. Using people who are already social punching bags as a punchline isn’t good behavior. That has nothing to do with my sense of humor, and is even something that Carlin criticized doing.

I mean, yeah. He is aiming at the consumer; he explicitly ties in the whole eating and shopping ans SUVs into the saying that the are efficient consumers ... and then going on to what real ownership means (as opposed to efficient consumption).

But certainly he is insulting Americans who blindly consume (whether it's food, or products, or the lies that we are fed about the American way) as a way of saying that the real issue is those who don't care about you.

I mean, he could certainly be more nuanced and discuss obesity in detail, but, you know, a five minute comedy bit isn't necessarily the place for a three-hour PBS miniseries on the rising rates of obesity.
That’s a disparity that doesn’t actually exist, though. You can use obesity as an example of hyper-consumerism without blaming fat people and calling them idiots for being fat.

He used fat people as a punch line to get everyone listen to his point. That isn't necessarily actually better than just making the fat joke without a greater context.

CapnZapp

Legend
I'd report this to the mods for getting off the rails* but since they're already involved, I guess I can only bring out the popcorn.

With lots of butter.

* unless Black Widow has gotten fat were pages and pages off topic

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I'd report this to the mods for getting off the rails* but since they're already involved, I guess I can only bring out the popcorn.

With lots of butter.

* unless Black Widow has gotten fat were pages and pages off topic
I mean, the trailer has a fat joke, and we are talking about. Not even a little off topic.

Sadras

Legend
No. Because we are becoming more aware that how we treat people matters, and shaming people for their bodies is hurtful.

Who got hurt by this?

Also every Marvel movie, and I mean every one of them has the unrealistic body view of men. Toned and buff. Nice to see them have a portly hero. The fat joke only gives him licence and acknowledges that he's out of this norm but still got it. Really, no harm at all.
Nevermind that it sets up the whole family dynamic.

It isn't as if fat jokes are thoughtful, insightful, well-crafted comedy that you can be proud of. It's a pretty cheap shot, all in all.

Indeed, because Marvel, in particular, always brings the thoughtful, insightful, well-crafted comedy that one must be proud of in every joke that they tell. They're practically Shakespearean+.

I this case, Carlin got it wrong, and it aged very poorly as our understanding has increased.

Who is our. This post reeks with some sort of accepted authority/right-way and that it is generally known that "Carlin got it wrong."

Like someone funny once said - it's outrageous, egregious, preposterous.

Last edited:

Sadras

Legend

With lots of butter.

How dare you bring food into such a sensitive topic - by Thor, don't you know people are getting hurt?

Remove ads