• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blackdirge's Suped Up Monster Thread: Monster Column Updated 06/26/06!

Lela

First Post
A thought that's been crossing my mind lately is flying demon archers. These would present a huge challange for my players (who are land based, except for the Magister). And their physical and spell-like abilities would still be good enough to keep everyone on their toes.

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Lela said:
A thought that's been crossing my mind lately is flying demon archers. These would present a huge challange for my players (who are land based, except for the Magister). And their physical and spell-like abilities would still be good enough to keep everyone on their toes.

That's an intriguing idea. What CR are we looking at?

Oh, and to all that have made requests, I am not ignoring them, I have been working on them as time permits. So, OneAboveAll, Fieari, etc., bear with me, I'll get them done eventually.

Dirge

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Sometimes a request comes along that really gets the old creative juices flowing. Not to say that the other request I have gotten aren't good or anything, but sometimes an idea really strikes a chord with you. Lela wanted some flying demonic archers, and for some reason it sounded like the coolest thing to create. So, I slammed out the following little darlings in about 45 minutes.

Lela a wasn't sure what CR you were looking for, so I went with CR 13. It should be easy to adjust up or down by adding or removing fighter levels.

Dirge

Doom Hurlers of Pazuzu

Half-Fiend Harpy Fighter 5
Medium Outsider
Hit Dice: 7d8+21 plus 5d10+15 (hp 116)
Initiative: +7 (Dex)
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), fly 80 ft. (good)
AC: 23 (+7 Dex, +6 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+15
Attack: +2 distance mighty composite longbow [+3] +22 ranged (1d8+7 plus 1d6 energy*/19-20 x3) or claw +15 melee (1d4+3)
Full Attack: +2 distance mighty composite longbow [+3] +22/+17/+12 ranged (1d8+7 plus 1d6 energy*/19-20 x3) or 2 claws +15 melee (1d4+3) and bite +10 melee (1d6+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Captivating song, smite good, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/magic, darkvision 60ft, immunity to poison, protective slime, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, electricity 10, and fire 10, spell resistance 22
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +13, Will +7
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 25, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 18
Skills: Bluff +18, Craft (bowyer) +15, Hide +17*, Intimidate +21, Listen +15, Move Silently +17*, Perform (oratory) +14, Search +7, Spot +11, Survival +9
Feats: Hover, Improved Critical (composite longbow), Improved Flight, Pointblank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Weapon Focus (composite longbow), Weapon Specialization (composite longbow),
Environment: The Abyss
Organization: Solitary, pair or squad (2-5)
Challenge Rating: 13
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Possessions: +2 distance mighty composite longbow [+3], 10 +1 caustic arrows, 10 +1 flaming arrow, 10 +1 frost arrows, 10 +1 screaming arrows, 10 +1 shock arrows

Captivating Song (Su): The most insidious ability of the Doom Hurlers of Pazuzu is their song. When a Doom Hurler sings, all creatures (other than Doom Hurlers or harpies) within a 300-foot spread must succeed on a DC 20 Will save or become captivated. This is a sonic mind-affecting charm effect. A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same Doom Hurler’s song for 24 hours.

A captivated victim walks toward the Doom Hurler, taking the most direct route available. If the path leads into a dangerous area (through flame, off a cliff, or the like), that creature gets a second saving throw. Captivated creatures can take no actions other than to defend themselves. (Thus, a fighter cannot run away or attack but takes no defensive penalties.) A victim within 5 feet of the Doom Hurler stands there and offers no resistance to the monster’s attacks. The effect continues for as long as the Doom Hurler sings and for 1 round thereafter. A bard’s countersong ability allows the captivated creature to attempt a new Will save.

Protective Slime (Su): A thin layer of viscous red fluid coats a Doom Hurler’s skin. Any weapon that touches it takes 1d6 points of acid damage from the corrosive slime, and the weapon’s hardness does not reduce this damage. A magic weapon may attempt a DC 19 Reflex save to avoid taking this damage. A creature who strikes the Doom Hurler with an unarmed attack, unarmed strike, touch spell, or natural weapon takes this damage as well but can negate the damage with a DC 19 Reflex save.

Ranged Smite Good (Su): Once per day the Doom Hurler of Pazuzu can make single ranged normal ranged attack with its bow to inflict and additional 12 points of damage against a good aligned foe.

Spell-Like Abilities: 3/day - darkness, poison; 1/day - blasphemy, contagion, desecrate, unholy blight. Caster level 12th. Save DC = 14 + spell level.

Skills: A Doom Hurler receives a +5 racial bonus on hide and move silently checks

Pazuzu, demon prince of the air, commands the skies above all abyssal planes, and all evil creatures that fly pay homage to winged demon lord. Pazuzu is one of the few demon lords who is relatively unconcerned with the scheming politics, and ruthless power bids that infest the demonic hierarchy. He much more interested in the prime material plane, and the easily corrupted creatures that dwell there. Unable to enter the prime material himself, Pazuzu employs a vast network of spies, tempters, and assassins to do his bidding in the many mortal worlds that interest him. Subtle in the extreme, Pazuzu dislikes direct confrontation with those he hopes to win to his side, but there are exceptions. When the demon lord is greatly displeased with a mortal servant, or needs to quickly remove a bothersome paladin or cleric, he calls upon his favored enforcers, the Doom Hurlers.

The Doom Hurlers of Pazuzu, are the product of one of the many experiments performed on mortal creatures by the intensely curious demon lord. The Doom Hurlers spring from the union of a female harpy, brought to the abyss at great expense, and a male babau demon. The resulting crossbreed is a bizarre but powerful blend of demon and harpy. Quick, ruthless and skilled flyers, they make the perfect aerial assassins, and Pazuzu has bred hundreds of the foul creatures to serve him.

Although native to the abyss, Doom Hurlers are able to enter the prime material plane due to their mortal heritage. They are usually sent on mission of assassination, but are sometimes used as scouts and spies in areas where larger and slower demons would be easily noticed.

Appearance & Tactics

A Doom Hurler of Pazuzu appears as a large well muscled harpy, with scaly black skin covered in viscous red slim. Their visages are gaunt, almost skeletal, and they sport a short curving horn on the back of their skulls, thanks to their babau heritage. Two vast bat wings allow the Doom Hurler to fly with great speed and maneuverability, and there are few creatures that can match their aerial precision. Equipped with long curving talons and a cruel set of needle-like fangs, a Doom Hurler is more than capable of rending a stout warrior limb from limb, although this is far from their preferred method of attack.

When used as assassins, Doom Hurlers will stalk their prey from the air, hoping to get their target into the open. The flapping of great wings and the discordant twang of a bowstring are usually the last thing a victim hears, before his body is punctured by half a dozen enchanted missiles.

If confronted with obviously powerful opponents, a Doom Hurler will attempt to use their captivation song to incapacitate as many foes as possible. If this proves ineffective, the Doom Hurler will attempt to soften up its enemies with spell-like abilities, followed by barrage after barrage of arrows. Creatures with the ability to fly are treated in a similar fashion, as the Doom Hurler is usually able to outdistance all but the most accomplished flyer.

Under no circumstance will a Doom Hurler land and engage in melee. They are quite content to retreat and fight another day if their foes are beyond their ability to defeat from a distance.

Last edited:

Lela

First Post
I'll be dropping it in my CR book (which I've done with all your monsters below CR 21). But it WILL come out to play.

Thanks, that rocks.

Mortepierre

First Post
Blackdirge,

Not to nit-pick but if your doom hurlers are really enjoying the same kind of protective slime as Babau, they won't benefit from their leather armor for long... :\

Last edited:

Lela

First Post
Will an arrow take the slime damage before or after it slams into the Doom Hurler? Personally, I'd say after. It's going fast and it would be a tad too powerful if it did.

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Mortepierre said:
Blackdirge,

Not to nit-pick but if your doom hurlers are really enjoying the same kind of protective slime as Babau, they won't benefit from their leather armor for long... :\

Its amazing how you can miss painfully obvious things like that when designing monsters. Thanks for pointing it out, I made some changes in the stat block that make a little more sense.

Dirge

<Anders>

First Post
Creative

You haven't got any CR 70 to 90 critters by any chance, have you? :)

I am overwhelmed myself with work, but would really appreciate if you could conjure something out of that vast tome och knowledge of yours.

Cheers.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads