Blade Runner: The Next Million Dollar Kickstarter?

Free League's Blade Runner Kickstarter has just launched, and is tearing through stretch goals after funding in just 3 minutes. It looks very likely that this will be the company's second million dollar Kickstarter (following last year's The One Ring campaign, which raised over $2M). It will also be the third million dollar Kickstarter in the last month, following Matt Colville's Flee Mortals!, and Monte Cook Games' Old Gods of Appalachia.

Blade Runner was voted the Most Anticipated TTRPG of 2022 by readers of EN World right here.

Free League's other million dollar Kickstarter, The One Ring, did $521K on the first day and finished with $2M. Compared to the other million dollar campaigns in the last few weeks --
  • Flee Mortals! did $788K on the first day.
  • Old Gods of Appalachia did $679K on the first day.
  • Only one campaign has done $1M+ on day 1, and that was Avatar Legends with $1.15M on the first day.

br.jpg

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I'lll be honest with you, I enjoyed Blade Runner a lot more than I enjoyed Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. I've always thought of the movie as a very loose adaptation of Dick's work that essentially borrowed some concepts and went its own direction. With Alien, Free League brought in a lot of information from the movies, but also from other sources including some things that appeared in the early draft of the Alien 3 script that didn't make it into the movie. I'm a bit curious what, if any, elements from DADOEC Free League might incorporate into the game.
I agree with the changes they decided on in the film. I think it was able to blend ambiance and story into just the right package for the run time. To really engage the psychological aspects of the novel you would need a lot more time for the setting and character changes to sink in and take effect.

I too am curious what extra elements the RPG might take!

There is an anime series, I think, and some other content based in Dennis movie.

I know I’m an outlier but I really liked Dennis movie.

They've said they're pulling from Black Lotus, among other things (comics, video games, etc.).

And I don't know if liking BR 2049 makes you an outlier, necessarily, but there are definitely lots of detractors. I'm not one of them. I think it's amazing, and as good as the first one!

So, uh, this is gonna make some folks mad. From the campaign FAQ:

Have you considered a solo mode?

Yes, we have considered it, but given the investigative nature of the Case Files, a solo mode would not just be a brief addition, but almost an entirely new game. For now, it is out of the scope for this Kickstarter.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I feel like there is a LOT more lore surrounding Alien. Not just multiple movies, but novels and comics and games. I can't recall any "expanded universe" Bladerunner stuff except the 90s PC adventure game and some recent comics from when 2047 came out.
The expanded universe of Alien is a lot bigger and a lot more popular, but there is some for BR. Three novels, the sequel film, the three short films, and the anime.

Mezuka

Hero
The expanded universe of Alien is a lot bigger and a lot more popular, but there is some for BR. Three novels, the sequel film, the three short films, and the anime.
Wasn't there a short-lived tv series (late 90, early 2000) based on Blade Runner? I recall watching episodes but can't find any info.

overgeeked

B/X Known World

It was the Total Recall 2070 series (1999).

That was actually one of the better Friday/Saturday Night syndicated sci-fi/adventure series from that era. Of all the ones made trying to capitalize on the Hercules/Xena/Highlander/Baywatch syndication boom and/or Canadian/New Zealand tax incentives, I think I like it the best (Beastmaster and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World being competitive). That it died and is all but forgotten but Andromeda succeeded enough to at least still be remembered by many is kinda sad.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases