• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bladed Gauntlet (when will I let the weapon die)

trimeulose

First Post
So I was wondering, since I'm using a bladed gauntlet... and it takes up a feat. Could i use it as both a weapon and an item. Point in case... the blades are the actual weapon and the gauntlet provides the same basic component as a locked gauntlet with little else. So could I use the gauntlet portion as an item slot and get it enchanted to be say gauntlets of ogre power and the such??

The plan... I get both gauntlets to be enchanted with the rusting capablilty (gauntlets of rust). While in combat I disarm foes of their weapons, and since there is nothing in my hands I am now holding the weapon. After that I use the rusting capablility to corrode their shield (if any), and then use the other gauntlet to corrode the armor (if metal). I keep the weapon and my foe is before me with no armor, or shield, and I have his weapon (plus mine). How does this sound?

Plus my equipment is rust proof.

The reason I ask this is because otherwise the bladed gauntlet is nothing more than a shortsword with a locked gauntlet (or otherwise magical glove slot). I would be blowing a feat and an item slot for something I could have for 14 gold less per hand (unless using a magic glove).

Crothian

First Post
You could do that, it might get expensive if you have both gauntlets of rusting and enchant the bladed gauntlets to be +1 or something

Chun-tzu

First Post
trimeulose said:
The reason I ask this is because otherwise the bladed gauntlet is nothing more than a shortsword with a locked gauntlet (or otherwise magical glove slot). I would be blowing a feat and an item slot for something I could have for 14 gold less per hand (unless using a magic glove).

There's a new exotic weapon in Silver Marches (p. 95) that might fit your desires better. They're called "tiger's claws" and are described as 3-bladed stone daggers, although from the picture on the previous page, the barbarian using them is totally a Wolverine-wannabe. The description doesn't say anything about gauntlets or how these daggers are wielded, but they would easily be mistaken for bladed gauntlets (but with 3 blades per hand instead of 2).

Anyway, Tiger's Claws are Small, do 1d6 slashing damage, and crit x2 on 18-20 (not 19 like the bladed gauntlets, or 17 like the pre-errata gauntlets). They *are* made of stone, but I'm sure you could commission a metal version (or make your own, if you've got some ranks in Craft: Weaponsmithing) with the same stats. Or maybe you can ask your DM to combine these two for metal claws that have the higher crit range, but can be disarmed.

DeBhaal

First Post
Id say let it work, I mena you can enchant your Double-Bladded Sword with a different thing on each blade, so why cant you do the same with the Bladed Gauntlets, such as have them work as the Gloves of Rusting, and have each Blade individually enchanted with a different thing.

A question about the Craft skill...
Does Craft: Blacksmithing give a synergy(sp?) bonus to Craft: Armorsmithing and Craft: Weaponsmithing?

It makes sense that it would... just want to know if there is anything official on it, because I cant remember reading anything about that.

DeBhaal

First Post
Originally posted byCrothian
Not that I've seen

True, I havent seen it anywhere either, but wouldnt it make sense, if your good at blacksmithing, woulding it help you with armorsmithing and weaponsmithing, as long as you are still using a Forge?

I house ruled it that if you have 5+ Ranks in Craft: Blacksmithing, you get a +2 synergy bonus to Craft: Armorsmithing, and Craft: Weaponsmithing.
I merely wondered if there was word about it from WotC, or the Sage.

Crothian

First Post
DeBhaal said:

True, I havent seen it anywhere either, but wouldnt it make sense, if your good at blacksmithing, woulding it help you with armorsmithing and weaponsmithing, as long as you are still using a Forge?

I house ruled it that if you have 5+ Ranks in Craft: Blacksmithing, you get a +2 synergy bonus to Craft: Armorsmithing, and Craft: Weaponsmithing.
I merely wondered if there was word about it from WotC, or the Sage.

As for making sense, I have no idea. I don't know enough about the different skills needed. However, I like it because it gives a reason to place points in these skills.

Junkheap

First Post
I don't know if you guys actually knew this or maybe i am jst reading the posts wrong, but bladed gauntlets can be disarmed. They are NOT LOCKED GAUNTLETS. So after the errata i find this weapon totally useless. For a damn feat, you get to use a short sword! YAY! MIght as well use 2 short swords. The gauntlests and the ss can be disarmed, OR you can have them both as locked gauntlets.

The only advantage i see of using a bladed gauntlet is that you can grab stuff while your weapon is in hand. BUT if you lock it, you can't. So again, i see no purpose to this weapon after the errata. 17-20 crit was too much but 18-20 at least makes the weapon usuable.

Orco42

First Post
There is no errata on the bladed gauntlets. I refuse to believe it. ;)

And if you use the chart on the DMG to increase the size of the gauntlets to large, make them out of gold, and use monkey grip you get a onehanded weapon that does 2d8 damage, crits on 17+, and lets you hold other items. Maybe my DM will let me be an ogre so I can get a huge weapon that makes the damage 4d6. Yeah that's the ticket. :D

Last edited:

Remove ads