D&D 5E Bladesinger with a staff

ph0rk

Friendship is Magic, and Magic is Heresy.
To spell focus: Rub of the war mage or spell of wizardry solve your problems (common magiv items).

Only components without a cost, of course, so the free hand remains a real issue.

Look, whatever, you think is fine. I’m telling you I’ve crunched numbers and it is a clear damage boost, but whatever, balance your own game (or not) however you like.

Me, I’d have serious concerns about full caster sublcasses (especially those with the Wizard list) that can approach or even exceed what a fighter can do in terms of at-will melee damage. The post-TCoE bladesinger can already do that, buffing (even indirectly through a tailored feat) it is a step in the wrong direction.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I'm not the gatekeeping what constitutes gatekeeping.
Jeeeesus, Max.

Im just gonna go back to ensuring you and I don’t interact much.

What a mind-numbingly pointless tangent I let you drag me into absolutely no reason.

Find someone else to pester with this sort of nonsense.

Only components without a cost, of course, so the free hand remains a real issue.

Look, whatever, you think is fine. I’m telling you I’ve crunched numbers and it is a clear damage boost, but whatever, balance your own game (or not) however you like.

Me, I’d have serious concerns about full caster sublcasses (especially those with the Wizard list) that can approach or even exceed what a fighter can do in terms of at-will melee damage. The post-TCoE bladesinger can already do that, buffing (even indirectly through a tailored feat) it is a step in the wrong direction.
I don't say it is needed. Nor do I say, the damage is low. What I say is, that it is way less powerfull than you try to make it out.
A maximum of 4 points to damage and the possibility to use spells with costly material components does not break any game. If it does break your game I think you need to reconsider your game.

Still for a bladesinger with 3 clear main stats, any feat you take hurts. If you are human and take PAM on first level, you might get a little bit more out, but you give up darkvision, +2 to two stats, armor proficiency that keeps you going until level 2. You can even swap your axe proficiencies for short swords if you like.

You are always 2 points of stats ahead of the human. So if you really try hard, you can easily start with 17 Int, 17 Dex and 15 Con. You will max out dex and Int by level 12. And you can afford resilient con and warcaster at level 16 and 19, while your human won't be maxing both dex and int by 12, which means, you immediately lose 3 points of your calculated damage at level 14...
As a non polearm master you can also use shadow blade as your concentration spell and you have your bonus action which you at least can use for misty step to attack and reposition.
If you want, you can also use the bonus action to direct a flaming spere or later use black blade of disaster or mordenkainens sword. Or command minute meteors.
With PAM you lock yourself into a place you don't really want. For a bit of benefit (why take a feat when you don't have any benefit...) you are way less versatile.

Remove ads