D&D 5E Bladesinger with a staff

The weapon should only be a 1 handed weapon. Also it should be a melee weapon.

A heavy finesse weapon, or a finesse ranged weapon, does strange things.
I certainly agree with disallowing ranged weapon, but I do not think I would object to a Half Orc Barbarian Weapon Dancer with a Greatsword, named Buttercup.

ph0rk

Friendship is Magic, and Magic is Heresy.
I certainly agree with disallowing ranged weapon, but I do not think I would object to a Half Orc Barbarian Weapon Dancer with a Greatsword, named Buttercup.

Rage requires you attack with strength.

Anyway; this feat applying to weapons with the heavy property means dex-based paladins and blade warlocks with PAM (who are not hexblades) are even easier to build, and removes one of the few cases where prioritizing strength is a good thing.

What's next, dexterity grappling?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
No, it isn't. Saying something isn't a virtue doesn't make it a vice. Preferring pepperoni pizza is also no virtue, but that doesn't mean I think it's bad.

My own preferences are also not in any way virtuous, they're simply what I prefer. Hell, half the discussions in this forum over the past 20 years are simply reminding people that just because they like to play in a certain style, that doesn't mean it's any better than any other playstyle. I'm sure MikalC's playstyle works just fine with his group, and I don't think he needs to change anything, but it would be a poor fit at my tables.
Fair enough. Similarly, though, saying something is boring does not equate to it being bad. Neither of you was gatekeeping.

NotAYakk

Legend
Ehh. It opens up Dex-based GWM, I guess, which might be problematic if you're worried about protecting Str's niche. I'm not sure what ranged weapon that isn't already finesse would be problematic.
Finesse allows you to attack with either Dexterity or Strength.

So a Finesse heavy crossbow you can use strength to attack with it. Ditto for a longbow.

The way Finesse works is counter intuitive. Most people think it is "it permits Dex", but that isn't what it says.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Finesse allows you to attack with either Dexterity or Strength.

So a Finesse heavy crossbow you can use strength to attack with it. Ditto for a longbow.

The way Finesse works is counter intuitive. Most people think it is "it permits Dex", but that isn't what it says.
I suppose that's a problem from a simulationist perspective, but I don't think it would cause balance issues.

Rage requires you attack with strength.

Anyway; this feat applying to weapons with the heavy property means dex-based paladins and blade warlocks with PAM (who are not hexblades) are even easier to build, and removes one of the few cases where prioritizing strength is a good thing.

What's next, dexterity grappling?
I think I agree with you in principle, the feat probably does need to be limited to 1 handed weapons.

However, my counter argument is this feat is balanced out by the fact that it is a feat and the character is therefore paying a price for it, they have to give up an ASI or give up an opportunity to pick a different feat. Yes a Variant Human can get it at 1st level, but if they are using a great weapon, GWM is a better choice (?), if they choose GWM and take Weapon Dancer at 4th level, then they are giving up a chance to increase an attribute by 2 or giving up another feat that might be more useful in the long run, like Toughness. Considering most campaign go to 12th level or so, the opportunities for ASI and feats are rather limited, so I think this would not change most builds in any meaningful way.

I do think limiting the weapon choices to melee weapons that can be used one handed, is probably a good idea though, it does keep some of the weirdness in check.

TheSword

Legend
I’m fascinated by the Variant Encumbrance Rules - terrifying. 5 x Strength really isn’t very much at all!

Seems like that is the best was to return Strength’s importance.

Remove ads