• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blinking attack versus those that see invisible???

Thanee

First Post
Yeah, but that wouldn't have any effect, since the creature can obviously see the blinking person. That's pretty obvious, or not?

See invisible negates the advantage of being invisible, even if ethereal (like with blink).

Bye
Thanee

AGGEMAM

First Post
Elvinis75 said:
Can a person who is blinking really attack as an invisible creature even if that creature can see the invisible?

And btw, remember that you can't run, charge, or take a 5 foot step while blinking.

Thanee

First Post
Why?

If you refer to the half-speed rule, that won't apply since you can move at three-quarter speed still. ;)

Bye
Thanee

AGGEMAM

First Post
Thanee said:
If you refer to the half-speed rule, that won't apply since you can move at three-quarter speed still. ;)

Yes, actually it does apply since you moving at half speed half of the time. That is the same as hampered movement, which denies these option too.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Thanee said:

It depends if by "blinking" he means "in the Ethereal phase of a blink cycle" or "under the effects of a Blink spell".

While under a Blink spell, approximately half the time, you are not operating at half speed, and can Run, Charge, or take a 5' step. However, since Run and Charge tend to require uninterrupted movement - full round actions, straight lines, and all that - I could agree that Running or Charging while under a Blink spell could be prohibited. However, I would allow a 5' step, since that is not a full round action, and thus could be performed while Material. (Alternatively, one could allow a 5' step with a 20% chance of failure - equating to the chance of missing a Material opponent with an attack - since the character might Blink out at exactly the instant he tries to step... and on the Ethereal plane, he can't step.)

-Hyp.

Thanee

First Post
Denying run and charge would make sense (altho hampered movement is not really the same, it's at least compareable), but not the 5 foot step (IMHO), as that is only if your speed is reduced to half, which it is not.

Bye
Thanee

AGGEMAM

First Post
Thanee said:
Denying run and charge would make sense (altho hampered movement is not really the same, it's at least compareable), but not the 5 foot step (IMHO), as that is only if your speed is reduced to half, which it is not.

Yup, I agree I was too fast of the gun with the 5 foot step, that would be allowed.

However, reading the hampered movement description in the PHB, page 163, it seems to fit the blinking situation perfectly. And that disallows charge and run, but not 5 foot steps.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Thanee said:
... but not the 5 foot step (IMHO), as that is only if your speed is reduced to half, which it is not.

Your speed is reduced to half while you're Ethereal, though. So when you're blinking, some of the time, a 5' step is prohibited.

The 20% mechanic would seem to fit, the more I think about it. You're attempting to take an action that only works if you're not Ethereal at the time. Just like attacking or casting a spell.

-Hyp.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Your speed is reduced to half while you're Ethereal, though. So when you're blinking, some of the time, a 5' step is prohibited.

The 20% mechanic would seem to fit, the more I think about it. You're attempting to take an action that only works if you're not Ethereal at the time. Just like attacking or casting a spell.

I would have preferred the simpler choice but I concur, this would be the correct interpretation. However, I would probably still just use the hampered movement rules IMC.

EDIT: The half speed can of worms is truly opened :D

Last edited:

Remove ads