• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bloodclaw replacement?

HP Dreadnought

First Post
OK. . . so my 14th level human fighter/dreadnought was using a +3 Bloodclaw crag-hammer. Doesn't seem like a great choice now.

What alternatives would people suggest - assuming I want to stick with a crag hammer - so no blade or axe enchantments.

Allowable magic item sources are:

PHB
AV 1
AV 2

RickVigorous

First Post
What does your character do? Is he a charger? If so, vanguard and thundergod can make up for some of the lost damage. Subtle and goblin totem can both help as well. Alternately, grab something that's flavor-appropriate for your character.

Turtlejay

First Post
Corwin: The recent errata nerfed it down from at-will to 1/encounter.

You are asking the boards, presumably to find the next most OP enchantment. Why don't you look at the books and see what you like best? Perhaps consider. . .flavor?

In any case, more information about your character will help. What items do you already have? Powers? Feats? What do you currently do in combat? Is that what you want to be doing?

Jay

Corwin

Explorer
Corwin: The recent errata nerfed it down from at-will to 1/encounter.

I'm fully aware it was errata'ed. Your point being?

But I stand opposed to your "nerfed" characterization. Pejorative.

It was not "nerfed", it was "fixed". Now its just good, not broken. Especially considering it's an enhancement +1 enchantment.

And this is coming from a player who has a 10th-level, bloodclaw urgosh weilding, dwarven ranger in LFR. You don't see me whining.

In fact I think this round of errata was a much needed and welcome call for change in many ways across a gambit of issues.

Corwin

Explorer
It's just not the overwhelming choice anymore. I guess that now devolves upon Lasting Frost/Frost Weapon.
So, to paraphrase...

If it ain't broke no more, I don't want it. Now what was the next most broken thing so I can switch to that now?

Sad.

Ryujin

Legend
So, to paraphrase...

If it ain't broke no more, I don't want it. Now what was the next most broken thing so I can switch to that now?

Sad.

Essentially. I have a feeling that there would be a lot fewer Battlerager players who would have taken Bloodclaw if it specifically said that the cost must be paid from permanent HPs, rather than permitting use of temps. Battlerager with big Bloodclaw hammer seems to be a pretty standard build. Enough so that it's a virtual parody.

Turtlejay

First Post
I'm fully aware it was errata'ed. Your point being?

But I stand opposed to your "nerfed" characterization. Pejorative.

It was not "nerfed", it was "fixed". Now its just good, not broken. Especially considering it's an enhancement +1 enchantment.

And this is coming from a player who has a 10th-level, bloodclaw urgosh weilding, dwarven ranger in LFR. You don't see me whining.

In fact I think this round of errata was a much needed and welcome call for change in many ways across a gambit of issues.

Wow, no need to get snippy. . .

Your initial post left some question as to if you knew it had been changed or not, I was informing you.

And yes, it is a nerf, as in, a reduction in power/utility/usefulness/brokenness/etc. Whether you think it is justified or not is beside the point. In fact, if you read my *first* post here, you will see that I likely agree with you. The OP was just looking for someone to find the next broken thing and point him at it.

If he feels like poking his head it to check the thread and gives us some more info, I'm more than happy to give my opinion about useful replacements, but as I never liked the bloodclaw/blood iron/iron armbands mess to begin with, I doubt my suggestion will be broken enough for his tastes.

Jay

Remove ads