• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blown Fuse > d20 Overload

XO

First Post
Finally happened... Got on ENWorld and blam ! Overload ! I have enough material to last me a long, long time, or feed my musings.

Am I alone ?

Last edited:

nopantsyet

First Post
Nope--you're not alone. I've been feeling the same way for a while. My purchases have slowed way down. I only buy something now if I've had a chance to look over the material and I know I'm going to use it in my game in the near future. Well, I did make an exception for the $5 sale on Legends & Lairs books. Now I sound like an addict. I guess there's something to that.

But I feel like, what else could I possibly want at this point? I just know there's somebody reading this at WotC ready to pull out the emergency 4E binder. But it's not that they're not making quality books. But as a DM, what possibly justification can I come up with for buying all the character books? If I'm not running in an arctic environment (did that already, thank you), why do I need Frostburn? Someday I might run a game in Eberron--I have the setting. But I don't need Sharn. Mind you, if I had more time to read, then I might pick up the pace again. But now that I've got two kids, prepping for a twice-montly game is hard enough.

Crothian

First Post
Depends what the needs are and what my games will be. You are not alone, but I doubt I'll ever experience d20 overload as I still am able to make use of everything...just not all at the same time.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
My d20 purchases have dropped to nil. Last thing I bought was New Argonauts.

I'll be looking to pickup some Conan d20 pretty soon, and probably by some C&C, but that about it.

One of my players picked up Complete Arcane, and I really like the Warlock, so I may pick that up if I ever play one, but I'm basically done buying D&D stuff for a long, long time, as I have so much waiting to be used already.

Fenes

First Post
I am buying books I think will interest me. The "Complete ..." series does not interest me, being full of crunch I don't use in my 3E campaign (judging from the "complete Warrior" whoich I own, and from reviews. The same goes for the races books, and some of the location books - I hate arctic stuff, but I preordered Sandstorm.

3rd party publishers, I'd like more from Kenzer, but I am not interested in elves or orcs or hopgoblins, so I will have to wait for other stuff.

Forgotten Realms I'll probably buy, since I can usually use stuff from there, playing and DMing 2 FR campaigns.

But I am really, really sick of yet another bunch of feats, prestige classes, core classes, spells or races.

Yair

Community Supporter
I'm actually purchasing more lately. Probably because I can no longer attend my tabeltop game (car problems). I feel the need to compensate...
Most of my purchases are pdfs, however. I really like the format.

dren

First Post
XO said:
Finally happened... Got on ENWorld and blam ! Overload ! I have enough material to last me a long, long time, or feed my musings.

Am I alone ?

No...definitely not. Having more stuff doesn't help you as a player or DM. Sure, it's nice to have, but it's not needed and sometimes gets in the way as wanting to add or use everything (or a lot of things for that matter) just means you throw everything in without ever getting a feel for the flavour.

I recommend that you relax. Look at the style of game(s) you and the other players like, and then everytime a new book comes out, wait two weeks before you buy. And remember, just because your favorite company/designer/writer has just released something, you don't have to buy it right away.

Same here.

90% of the material I want I already have, and no one is ever going to do the other 10% I'm looking for.

Well, other than non-FX D20 Modern adventures. I still want and can find those :)

pogre

Legend
I noticed lately I have turned to buying other RPG materials that are non-d20. Just bought the 5th edition Ars rules and the revised adventure. I also am eagerly anticipating the new WFRP. I still have my D&D campaign going, but I have slowed way down on purchases too.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads