D&D 5E Blue Dragon "monster minions"

trentonjoe

Explorer
His humanoid cult is set in stone but I think we need some "monsters".

I am designing a lair for a blue dragon and looking for some ideas for "lightning" monsters. I am planning on reskinning, and dropping the power, a remorhaz into a eel. Sorta like an electric eel....

I also am going to reskin a hell hound into a lightning (insert l predator here).

Also thinking about some lighting shooting spiders and small elementals.

Just looking for some ideas, thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Wik

First Post
They're not in fifth yet, but shocker lizards are always great.

And where there's lightning, there's a shambling mound just waiting around the corner.

Storm Clerics are also good. What about a dryad whose tree was struck by lightning, and now she's a bit unhinged? A mimic that's stuck in the form of a lightning rod? Or a faraday cage suit of animated armour (it tries to trap you inside, so that other people get advantage on lightning attacks against you). Nothics with lightning rays could be fun. Or a group of kobolds with a lightning wand of some sort.

Lancelot

Adventurer
The flesh golem is a fun option. Pieced together from the dragon's previous victims, which can add a dose of either comedy or horror depending how you play it ("Oh no! It has the head and chest of Sir Riggsby the Knight Valiant... the arms of Talia the Elven Archer... and the legs of Wiggles Hairfoot the Halfling Rogue!"). Most importantly, it regains HP from lightning attacks, which makes it easy to repair after defending the dragon's lair. The perfect blue dragon guardian, really.

I'd also consider variant air elementals (simply add lightning damage to their attacks) and similarly re-skinned mephits.

Dragonsbane

Proud Grognard
I always use various reptilian themed critters with dragons, almost like they are their lesser cousins. Blue kobolds and lizardmen could have interesting lightning powers, perhaps something they can use in a group when a few are present . . . maybe even a blue wyvern.

jgsugden

Legend
Blue dragons do not need to surround themselves with lightning themed allies - in fact, they're smart enough to know they're better off with some allies that are not immune to their lightning in case they need discipline.

However, it is always fun to have shambling mounds in their service...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases