D&D 5E Blue ONE, An attempt at a TRUE 5e Basic version

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Pretty much. It's fairly easy to put all casters into one class. As you can see from the screen shot above, it doesn't matter where you get your magic from (arcane, divine, mail-order). That's all flavor. The mechanics are the same. So I pulled the most common and used spells from both cleric and wizard and put them all together.

I will say this, and not just as a caution to you, but to myself as well and something every designer knows. It is super easy to add additional options. But when the goal is to keep it as simple as possible, I have to fight that urge. Otherwise you just end up with 5e anyway.
Absolutely. That’s why I finally decided that it would be better as an “intermediate” class set, rather than as additions to your basic document. I do think a Ranger or an Eldritch Knight that mixes fighter and wizard would fit your class set for that “Elf” option, though.

dave2008

Legend
So far it looks really good. I do have a major issue with the monster statblocks though:
  • no average hit points listed. That is seriously not cool man! I don't want to have roll a monsters HP in the middle of an adventure. I know I can do so if I want, but just list the average please for ease of use. Basic 5e shouldn't just be easy for the PCs., but the DM too.
Also, If you are just going to have age category template for all dragons (which is fine), give a table of type specific traits or something to differentiate them. I would look at lair actions or 4e for unique traits.

Also don't stick to the silly MM scaling for the dragon attacks. I mean a Large, Huge and Gargantuan dragon all have the same 2d10 bite damage? You can scale attacks* and keep the same DPR/CR if you adjust the tail to cost 2 legendary actions. IIRC this even allows you to up BW damage a little IIRC.

*Example, scaling dragon bite:
  • Wyrmling Bite: 1d10 +
  • Young Bite: 2d10 +
  • Adult Bite: 3d10 +
  • Ancient Bite: 4d10 +

Last edited:

tsadkiel

Legend
I was just looking for options for a more streamlined 5E, and here you are! I like it - the backgrounds in particular are carrying forward my favorite bit of Chromatic Dungeons. On a weirdly specific note, I think the Other Races sidebar could use magic robots - they are a thing that says "Modern D&D" to me.

Are you planning to publish this eventually?

dave2008

Legend
As a follow up to my comment about making it easy for the DM, can you put the DM improv. info all in one area. The 5e DMG has good info, but it is scatted all over. Here is an example of the cheat sheet I made from the DMG. If this stuff was in the same area of the DM section it would be helpful.

1661422296771.png

1661422323640.png

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
PS I've been working on my own version of the "Immortal Rules" for 5e but have hit a bit of complexity wall. This project has inspired me to simply my approach. Thanks! Hopefully I can figure it out!

CapnZapp

Legend
Looking for some feedback. I was never happy with the "Basic" official version of 5e. It's like they kept all the complex rules, but removed all the character options, and still ended up with almost 200 pages of small font text (not even including magic items!!).
While they might have SAID their Basic version was intended as a friendly simple introduction that also was free, I would say it didn't take long to realize this was never WotC's real intent.

Everything they did was to serve one purpose: selling PHBs.

FallenRX

Adventurer
tbh i dont like the fact there isnt a Cleric class, seems essential to the B/X experience.

It was never just a divine "wizard" the notable armors, actual using normal weapons, how it was basically a battle mage with defensive oriented spells, that is my big gripe.

Love this and thank you for doing it. I'm going to dig in more when I have time.

One thing though (and sorry to be a pain) @Sacrosanct is that I noticed that on page 15 you have 2 darkvision ranges listed for the minotaur

Aldarc

Legend
tbh i dont like the fact there isnt a Cleric class, seems essential to the B/X experience.

It was never just a divine "wizard" the notable armors, actual using normal weapons, how it was basically a battle mage with defensive oriented spells, that is my big gripe.
In contrast, I love that there isn't a Cleric class.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I was just looking for options for a more streamlined 5E, and here you are! I like it - the backgrounds in particular are carrying forward my favorite bit of Chromatic Dungeons. On a weirdly specific note, I think the Other Races sidebar could use magic robots - they are a thing that says "Modern D&D" to me.

Are you planning to publish this eventually?
If I do, it will be a free PDF. The whole point is accessibility into an entry point of what 5e feels like with just the barebones rules. I don't think one could really charge for that, seeing as how the actual 5e basic (but not basic) rules are free). That pretty much means art is stock art or art I already have though. With 0 income, art budget goes way down :p

As a follow to my comment about making it easy for the DM, can you put you DM improv. info all in one area. The 5e DMG has good info, but it is scatted all over. Here is an example of the cheat sheet I made from the DMG. If this stuff was in the same area of the DM section it would be helpful.

View attachment 259033
View attachment 259034
I love this idea
Love this and thank you for doing it. I'm going to dig in more when I have time.

One thing though (and sorry to be a pain) @Sacrosanct is that I noticed that on page 15 you have 2 darkvision ranges listed for the minotaur
Keep in mind this version is literally my ideas set to paper in original draft form. There are probably lots of errors like this lol.

Remove ads