• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Board games you own and would recommend

Staffan

Legend
Arkam horror is a fun game and we play it and have several of the expansions. However I will say that the game's big flaw is that it doesn't ajust well to increased number of players. 1-3 players will find it extremely hard, 4-5 will be about just right, 6+ will rule the game. It can be played up to 8 players.
Have you looked at the errata? There's some stuff there about adjusting difficulty due to more/fewer players. Notably:

• If you have 5+ players and open a new gate, you get two monsters from it instead of one.
  • If you open a gate where there already is one, you get monsters equal to the greater of (number of players) and (number of open gates).

Sparky

One boardgame and a number of cardgames that I lump into the same category.

Boardgame
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation - An elegant and beautiful marriage of Stratego and LotR lore. The rules are fantastic (almost every 'what happens if' questions is noted in the rules, it was like the designer was sitting right there) and easy to pick up. 2 players only.

Cardgames
Guillotine - Darkly humorous and fast game where you and your opponents are rival Executioners at the guillotine trying to put together the 'best' collection of heads.

Fluxx - The rules start simple, Draw 1/Play 1. After that, it's anyone's game. There are some fuzzy debatable rules (well, *I* don't think there's any ambiguity, but others aren't so clearsighted as I am ;) ), but you can address them as they come up. Doesn't hamper play in any way.

Fist of Dragonstones - Or as we like to call it, Dragonst Ones (because of the title art on the box). Fun bidding game with an interesting mechanic for resolving rounds - the cards determine the order of play with each 'role' that the players assume determining when in the round they go. If you want to go first, be sure to snag the The King, he doesn't grant you any benefits other than the benefit of taking an action first (which can be good). It's been a while since I played it, there's a city building element as well, with certain edifices giving you bonuses and protections from other players machinations. Really good.

Cardgame I've only played once, but it was fun and is worth a mention just for the name

Who Stole Ed's Pants? - I think this one's out of print. It's a little hard to get your head around at first, but very fun when you do. Witnesses rise and fall in credibility and suspects bend over backwards to incriminate others. As to who stole Ed's pants? It's whoever is framed up for the job, not necessarily who's actually guilty. Some mysteries are best left unsolved.

juggler434

First Post
A few of my Favs
Axis and Allies: both the Milton Bradley and Avalon Hill editions are great, I don't like any of the spin offs though. Europe and Pacific were ok, D-day was horrible in my opinion, and I havn't played the two most recent ones.

Battlelore: A great two person game that doesn't take long to play with great online support.

Betrayal at the House on the Hill: Great, used to play this game by candlelight all the time. Good fun, especially if you get into it.

Settlers of Catan: Another great game that you can get gamers and non-gamers to play together.

Another bumb for Arkham Horror, great co-op game.

Mall of Horror: I kind of stumbled upon this one, an omage to Dawn of the Dead. Its a game of surviving a zombie attack in a mall by stabbing your friends in the back.

Zombies: A more shoot em up tile zombie game with lots of expansions that keep promising to be the last one.

These are just a few of my favs, the ones I felt deserved to be mentioned here.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Zombies: A more shoot em up tile zombie game with lots of expansions that keep promising to be the last one.

I used to enjoy Zombies, but I found it just becoming slower and slower and more tedious each time I played it. Instead, I now really recommend Last Night on Earth: the Zombie Game, which is exceptional. :)

Cheers!

juggler434

First Post
I used to enjoy Zombies, but I found it just becoming slower and slower and more tedious each time I played it. Instead, I now really recommend Last Night on Earth: the Zombie Game, which is exceptional. :)

Cheers!

I have to admit, I never played Zombies past the first expansion, but I will definatly check out Last Night on Earth

PieAndDragon

Duncan T
Top 10 for me (in no particular order) would be

A Game of Thrones
Warrior Knights
In the Year of the Dragon
Agricola
Sitting Ducks Gallery
Race for the Galaxy
Britannia
Puerto Rico
Amun-Re
Wiz-War

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Thanks for the recommendation for Last Night on Earth. I just played my first game and had a blast.

I'm glad to hear that. It's a pretty stunning game IMO. Apparently the publisher has a new game (A Touch of Evil) that may be even better. :)

Cheers!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads